BARD Training Videos for boat builders & others
Training videos / Tutorials on how to use the U.S. Coast Guard Boating Accident Report Database (BARD) produced by Gary Polson of PropellerSafety.com / Polson Enterprises.
We hope these videos encourage boating safety professionals and those developing boating safety related products to use the BARD database to better understand boating accidents and to optimize their boat accident prevention / mitigation efforts. Those efforts may be behavioral efforts (encourage wearing of life jackets), device based (develop new devices to prevent boat accidents like an automatic kill switch system that does not require use of a fob), or regulatory based (like require use of kill switches when underway in certain vessels).
We especially hope boat builders will take advantage of the opportunity the U.S. Coast Guard BARD database provides to monitor the safety of their boats post sale (after sale), then use the information they find to make their boats safer.
Post sale monitoring of product safety is sometimes called post sale surveillance or post market surveillance.
All materials provided here are for educational purposes. This is NOT professional advice.
The BARD Training Videos
Please note we provide links to related materials below the videos.
These nine BARD instructional videos are also on YouTube including as two play lists, one introductory playlist, and one playlist for boat builders after they view the introductory playlist.
The videos cover the materials pretty quickly. You will likely have to stop them from time to time to understand the material before proceeding.
If you have any questions, suggestions, or comments about these videos, please post them below.
- What is BARD – Background information
- BARD Tour – Introduction to BARD itself
- BARD Combined Table – How to Create What We Call A Combined Table
- BARD Query Tutorial – How to Create a Query
- BARD Boat Builder Episode Part 1 – Search for Accidents Listing Your Company as Boat Manufacturer
- BARD Boat Builder Episode Part 2 – Search for Accidents Listing Your Company MIC code in the Hull ID Number
- BARD Boat Builder Episode Part 3 – Search for Variants (Misspellings) of your Company Name, MIC code, Popular Boat Models in various columns
- BARD Boat Builder Episode Part 4 – A Different Way of Searching for Your Accidents in BARD
- BARD Training Support Materials Boat Builder Episode Part 5
Links to related BARD Training Materials
We published additional materials as part of this package to enable boat builders and others access to BARD, BARD training, worksheets, and charted the process to monitor BARD and other sources for post sale accidents.