Media coverage of 2016 recreational boat propeller accidents.
If you are aware of coverage of a 2016 propeller accident that is not reported here, please contact us.
Fatal accidents are coded immediately in front of the reporting data as:
D indicates a U.S. fatality
D indicates a fatality outside the U.S.
- D 26 December accident in Western Australia – 27 December 2016 Yahaoo 7 Australia reports Terrance Wong was off Rottnest Island on 26 December (Boxing Day) when “a large wave flipped Mr Wong’s boat and he was knocked in the head by the inflatable boat’s rigid hull then struck by the propeller.” He died from his injuries. Mr. Wong leaves behind a wife and 3 young children. A friend out with Mr. Wong was also knocked out of the boat.
- 11 December accident in Sweden – 11 December 2016 The Local (in Sweden) “Stockholm Festive Events End in Watery Drama” reports a Christmas celebration in Stockholm Sweden turned serious when two rubber boats in an “on water” procession collided on the River in central Stockholm. One person received serious propeller injuries to their leg.
- 5 November accident – 8 November 2016 Key News (Florida) “Man Injured by Boat Prop” reports a man was in the water a couple miles southwest of Western Dry Rocks on Saturday 5 November. He was struck by the propeller of a recreational boat.
- D 23 October accident in Malawi – 25 October Malawi 24 “Man Killed by Boat Propeller in Mangochi” reports Mailosi Lola, 45 year old male, was hired to repair a Satar Cottage on Sunday 23 October. Once it was fixed, he and the owner took the boat out on Lake Malawi. The engine had some problems, he started working on it while it was still running, and he was stuck by the propeller in the right arm and in his ribs. Mailosi Lola was taken to Mangochi District Hospital, and pronounced dead from loss of blood. The fatally injured man was from Maudzu village, Traditional Authority Nankumba in Mangochi district.
- 18 October accident in Cypress – 18 October 2016 Mirror (a U.K. publication) “British tourists in ‘bloodbath’ boat trip horror after fisherman torn to pieces by propeller” reports two women were on a snorkeling trip aboard a private charter from Pine Bay holiday resort in Kusadasi, Turkey on Tuesday 18 October. They reported their captain was talking on the phone while underway as another boat was approaching. The captain swerved, a swimmer’s head popped up in the water, they heard a thump, and saw lots of blood in the water. Cypress Mail reports the injured man was a Ukrainian on holiday swimming off Peyia, Paphos about 1:30pm near Saint George. He was taken to A&E at Paphos general hospital with injuries to his side.
- 8 October accident – 11 October 2016 KeyNews (Florida) “Fisherman Severely Injured; Struck by Boat” reports David Corlew, 29 year old from New Port Richey, was swimming free diving spearfishing about 200 yards off Edward B Knight Pier (formerly known as White Street Pier) with a dive flag about 8:30am Saturday 8 October. His legs were struck by the propeller of a 32 foot commercial charter Sea Vee boat. The captain of the boat stopped, picked up Mr. Corlew, and took him to Key West Bight. David Corlew was then life flighted to Ryder Trauma Center in Miami Florida. The charter boat was headed to a charter job when the accident occurred. This accident will likely not appear in the U.S. Coast Guard Boating Accident Database (BARD) as it involves a commercial vessel.
- 21 September accident in Australia – 21 September 2016 Gold Coast Bulletin (Australia) “Man Hospitalised After Boating Accident on Northern Gold Coast” reports a man in his 40s was struck in the chest by the boat propeller of a capsized boat north of Jacob’s Well on the Northern Gold Coast of Australia early in the afternoon of 21 September. He was taken to Brisbane’s Princess Alexandra Hospital.
- 17 September accident – 17 September 2016 Maui Now (Hawaii) “Woman Caught in Propeller of Boat at Pailolo Challenge” reports a woman from Kurtistown Hawaii in her sixties was in the water during the Pailolo Challenge outrigger canoe race between Maui and Molokai on Saturday morning 17 September. The woman was critically injured when she was struck by the propeller of an escort boat with the race. First responders worked on her on shore, she was taken to Napili Park and then life flighted to Maui Memorial Medical Center. This accident is reminiscent of several others in recent years when people have been struck by propellers during canoe or swimming races in Hawaii or in preparation for such races. The woman was later identified as Faith Kalei-Izaizumi.
- D 12 September accident in Trinidad – 13 September 2016 Daily Express (Trinidad) “Boatman Killed by Engine Propeller” reports Ronald Hill, 50 of Cocorite, was in a pirogue named Takia Monday night. He was hailed by a boat named Harbour Master, Hill turned to acknowledge them, his boat struck a large wave, and he was ejected. Hill’s boat went into the Circle of Death, and his head was struck by the propeller. He died shortly after being pulled from the water with extensive injuries. Authorities cited his official cause of death as blunt trauma to the head.
- 31 August accident in Thailand – 1 September 2016 Phuket News “Diver Hit by Boat Propeller North of Phuket, Boat Captain Sought by Police” reports Ms. Patcharin Petiohlein a 31 year old volunteer sea cleaner, was diving cleaning the sea near Koh Kai Nok on 31 August. She was struck by the propeller of a tour boat, receiving injuries to her shoulder, right hand, and leg.
- D 27 August accident – 28 August 2016 WDRB (Louisville KY) “Investigation Underway After Louisville Man Dies at Lake Cumberland” reports a propeller fatality at Lake Cumberland State Dock. The 64 year old male fell in about 10:27pm Saturday night 27 August and was struck by an operating propeller. “He was pronounced dead at the scene.” No mention was made of boat type, but State Dock is a major houseboat rental facility, it may or may not have been a houseboat.
- 26 August 2016 accident in Ireland – 26 August 2016 Independent.IE “Fisherman Who Badly Cut Hand on Boat’s Propeller Rescued in Early Morning Operation” reports a fisherman was rescued by RNLi (Royal National Lifeboat Institution the morning of 26 August about a mile and a half off Ballycotton Ireland. While trying to free a net entrapped in his propeller, his hand was badly cut. The fisherman was rescued and they towed his boat to shore.
- 21 August accident – 23 August 2016 SteamBoat Today “Woman Seriously Injured in Boating Accident” reports Megan Morgan, 26, was setting on the bow of the pontoon boat with her boyfriend. They were dangling their feet in the water of Stage Coach Reservoir on 21 August while the pontoon boat was cruising. She fell forward, went between the pontoons, and was struck by the propeller. She was cut on both arms, knee, her chest was bruised, and she might lose her left arm due to extreme dislocation of her elbow.
- D 17 August accident – 17 August 2016 DelmarvaNow (Salisbury Maryland) “Child Killed in OC After Being Struck by Boat Propeller” reports a 9 year old boy and an 11 year old were on a rental pontoon boat off Ocean City Maryland on Wednesday 17 August. About 3 pm they both fell overboard and were struck by the propeller. The 9 year old boy died from his injuries. We provided covered this accident at Kaden Frederick killed by pontoon boat propeller.
- 14 August accident in Canada – 19 August 2016 InfoNews.ca “Booze and Boats Don’t Mix, Say RCMP After Busy Weekend on Okanagan Lake” reports a swimmer was at the back of a boat near Kelowna Marina Dock on Okanagan Lake on Sunday August 14th. An inexperienced boat operator put the boat in reverse, the swimmer was struck by the propeller, and taken to a local hospital.
- 13 August accident – 13 August 2016 KXAN (Austin Texas) “Man Injured by Boat Propeller on Lake Travis” reports a man in his 60’s was struck by a boat propeller on Lake Travis on 13 August. EMS picked him up about a mile south of Pace Bend Park, he was taken to South Austin Medical Center.
- 13 August accident – 13 August 2016 CapeCod “Breaking: Person Seriously Injured After Being Hit by Boat Propeller in Chatham” reports a person was struck by a boat propeller at Stage Harbor about 3:30pm. The Harbormaster and Coast Guard got them to shore. LifeFlight was unable to service the accident due to weather issues, they were taken by ambulance to Cape Cod Hospital.
- 11 August accident – 12 August Daily Progress (Ocean City Maryland) “Woman Hurt by Propeller When Boat, Jet Ski Crash” reports a woman on a jet ski collided with a 30 foot power boat near Ocean City Maryland Thursday afternoon 11 August. She fell off and was struck by the boat’s propeller in her leg and back. She was lifeflighted to a hospital in Delaware.
- 7 August accident – 7 August 2016 TCPalm (Florida) “Man’s Leg Cut by Boat Propeller Off St. Lucie County” reports a man was in the ocean water trying to help another boater off North Hutchinson Island east of Pebble Beach Park on Sunday 7 August. About 12:30pm he was cut by the boat’s propeller. The Coast Guard took the injured man to shore where he was taken by ambulance to Lawnwood Regional Medical Center and Heart Institute in Fort Pierce.
- 6 August accident – 8 August The Dispatch (Ocean City Maryland) “Quick Action by Responding Officer Key in Boating Accident” reports officers responded to a boat accident on Isle of Wight Bay about 4pm Saturday August 6th. A rental pontoon boat had ran aground. Seven people were in the water including a man “bleeding profusely from a gash in his arm created by the boat’s propeller”. This and other reports credit responding officers with saving the man’s life by slowing blood flow from an artery in his arm. The man was later identified as 20 year old Wilmer Ramirez-Escalante. Still another pontoon boat propeller accident in the recent cluster of pontoon boat propeller accidents.
- D? 6 August accident – 7 August 2016 Atlanta Journal Constitution (Georgia) “Man Faces BUI Charge After Boater Falls Into Lake Lanier” reports Kevin Theodore Husum, of Florida, was on a pontoon boat on Lake Lanier in the area of Three Sisters Island on Saturday 6 August. He fell from the pontoon boat and failed to resurface. Divers are still searching for his body. Officials say he may have been hit by the boat or its propeller. MyPanhandle reports a CBS affiliate in Atlanta said he was throwing a football to another boat when he jumped from the pontoon boat, “ended up underneath it, and was hit by the propeller.”
- 6 August 2016 accident – 6 August 2016 Telegram (Worcester Massachusetts) “Boy LifeFlighted to Hospital After Boat Propeller Strike” reports a boy less than 10 years old was swimming in Beaver Lake about 6:30pm Saturday August 6th. The boy had been taken out on the lake on a pontoon boat and was struck by the propeller of that same boat. The operator of the pontoon boat was able to bring him to shore where the boy was lifeflighted to UMass Hospital Medical Center in Worcester suffering “lacerations to his legs”. WWLP reported the boy was first taken by ambulance to Baystate Mary Lane Hospital, then lifeflighted to UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester
- D? 3 August accident – 4 August 2016 Portland Press Herald (Maine) “Searh Resumes for Hollis Center Man Presumed Dead After Fall From Pontoon Boat on Long Lake” reports a 19 year old male was riding on the front of a pontoon boat on Long Lake on Wednesday 3 August. He fell from the boat and the boat passed over him. His body floated briefly after being struck by the boat, then sank. The search continues for his body. Media reports do not specifically mention being struck by the propeller. PropellerSafety.com comment – if anybody is counting, that makes three pontoon boat propeller accidents in five days. We still point the industry to Preventing Pontoon Boat Over the Bow Propeller Accidents and Preventing Pontoon Boat Over the Bow Accidents by DESIGN.
- 1 August accident – 5 August 2016 The Courier (Waterloo Iowa – reporting accident in Missouri) “Former Resident Injured in Missouri Boating Accident” reports Pamela K. Portillo, 53 from Lake City Iowa, was on a pontoon boat on Stockton Lake in Missouri August 1st. She wanted to dangle her feet in the water while the boat was cruising. Per a GoFundMe account, “The driver told her to stick her legs through the gate. As she tried to get up she put her weight on the gate, it gave way and she fell in the water.” Her legs were struck by the propeller. She was taken to Mercy Hospital in Springfield Missouri. One of her legs has since been amputated below the knee.
- 30 July accident – 1 August 2016 CBS Baltimore Maryland “Woman Struck by Boat Propeller Off Ocean City Authorities Say” reports Natalya Potsurko, 26, “was standing on the bow of a rental pontoon boat when the vessel hit a wake and she went overboard near Ocean City.” She was struck by the propeller in the face and leg. She was rescued by a passenger on board the pontoon boat, taken to Peninsula Regional Medical Center, then on the Penn Hospital in Philadelphia.
- FOR REFERENCE ONLY July event – 16 August 2016 NOLO /Time Picayunne New Orleans Louisiana “Homicide: Propeller Tied to Body of Man Found Beaten, Drowned at Bonnabel Boat Launch” reports the body of Dale Crage, 59 of Metairie, was found found in Lake Pontchartrain near Bonnabel Boat Launch in Metairie. Children playing Pokemon Go found his body floating on the rocks near the far side of the jetty at the boat ramp the afternoon of July 27th. The Sheriff’s Office used a boat to bring his body to shore. Per the County Coroner, “Authorities suspect the man was beaten and then drowned after someone tied a boat propeller to his body with wire wrapped around his waist.” … “A flexible wire, the thickness of that used on a truck winch, was wrapped a few times around Crage’s waist. That wire was then looped through the hole in a 12-pound boat propeller.”
- 30 July accident in Canada – 30 July CBCnews “Boy Seriously Injured after Falling Off Boat Into Ottawa River” reports a man and two young children were ejected from a boat on the Ottawa River near Britiannia, Ottawa Canada. The 4 year old boy had serious torso injuries from the propeller, a 6 year old girl had minor shoulder injuries, the 39 year old male had minor hand injuries. They made it to shore about 12:15pm. The boy and girl were taken to a hospital.
- 30 July accident – 30 July Lake News Online (Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri) “Iowa Woman Injured When Struck by a Boat Propeller” reports a young woman, Chelsea E. Hamerlinck, 23 of Davenport Iowa, was boarding a towed tube near the engine of the boat on the Osage Arm of Lake of the Ozarks near Lynch Hollow Cove about 11:45 am on the 30th of July. She was struck by the propeller and taken to Lake Regional Hospital. The boat was a 2015 Cypress Cozumel 240.
- 29 July accident – 1 August 2016 Capital Gazette (Maryland) “Annapolis Father of Two Killed in Whitehall Creek Boat Crash recounts recent local boating accidents including On Friday, a Friday 29 July accident in which Kevin Vincent Eckenrode, 56 from Pennsylvania, “was struck in the back, abdomen and chest by the propeller of a boat on Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland”. after diving off a water-skiing boat to swim.” He was lifeflighted to a hospital in West Virginai, Ruby Memorial Hospital. Reports indicate the boat was involved in giving water ski lessons and he had jumped in unnoticed.
- 28 July accident – 29 July Patriot Ledger (Massachusetts) “Woman Expected to Survive After Boating Accident in Scituate” reports a recent high school graduate from Scituate was sitting at the back of a small boat on Thursday 28 July in Scituate Harbor. The boat was put in gear, the boat jerked, and she fell overboard. Her leg was struck by the propeller. She was taken to South Shore Hospital, then on to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. Officials credit her friends, firefighters, and paramedics quick actions with slowing the bleeding and saving her life.
- D 27 July accident in Malaysia – 16 July 28 2016 The Star Online (Malaysia) “Youth Killed After Falling Off Boat, Hitting Propeller” reports Mahammad Faiz Wahib, 18, and a friend were fishing from a boat at Pantai Geting on Wednesday night 27 July. About 9:30pm both men were ejected from the boat in strong winds. Mohammad Faiz was struck by the boat propeller. He “was injured in the right ear, forehead and left leg, died at the scene. His body was taken to Tumpat Hospital.
- 25 July accident D – 27 October 2016 New York Times “Fatal Boat Crash That Shook Lake George’s Serenity Brings Homicide Charge” recounts a 25 July 2016 boat accident in New York on Lake George that claimed the life of a young girl. Charlotte McCue, 8, her mother and her grandfather were onboard a 28 foot antique wooden boat, named the Enchanted Evening. A smaller 21 foot boat running at high speed became airborne and passed over the top of the Enchanted Evening. The propeller of the smaller boat struck and instantly killed Charlotte McCue. A video of the crash was captured on a home security system. Sometimes the Coast Guard does not count accidents in which an airborne boat propeller struck someone as a propeller accident because the propeller strike did not occur in the water.
- 24 July accident – 25 July SouthTahoeNow “Woman Airlifted to Reno After Lake Tahoe Boating Accident” reports a young woman, 22, from Oregon was riding a tube on Lake Tahoe shortly after noon on Sunday 24 July. While boarding the boat, her legs became entrapped in the boat’s twin propellers. First responders had difficulty in finding the boat. When they did arrive they extracted the then unconscious woman from the propellers. She was taken to shore at Tahoe Beach Retreat with “significant injuries”. From there she was life flighted to Renown Medical Center.
- 24 July accident – 16 October 26 AZ Central “Raffling 2016 Ford Mustang to help injured Phoenix boy” reports 7 year old Dylan Darland was on a boat on Lake Powell on 24 July 2016. The boat hit an obstruction and the young boy was ejected. He was struck by the propeller in the jaw, right arm, and lower right leg.
- 20 July accident – 21 July 2016 Edgewater-Davidsonville Patch “Man Slashed by Boat’s Propeller When He Hits Sand Bar” reports from Edgewater Maryland that a 53 year old male fell from a boat in Rhode River on Wednesday evening 20 July when the boat struck a sand bar. The man was struck by the boat’s propeller. He was life flighted to R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.
- 17 July Accident – 20 July 2016 Fox 4 (Cape Coral, Florida) “Man Injured in Marco Island Boat Heist” reports at least two men were in a boat stolen from Marco Island, Florida on Sunday afternoon 17 July. The boat crashed, Nicholas Stolinas, 28, was a passenger on the boat. He “suffered serious injuries after coming into contact with the 23-foot boat’s propeller.”
- 16 July accident – 19 July 2016 Lancaster Online (Maryland) “Local Swimmer Hit by Boat Propeller During Race, Undergoes Surgery for Lacerated Hand” reports Heather Gehron-Rice, 44, was swimming a 3 mile open water race in the Annual Ocean Games near the shore of Ocean City, Maryland on Saturday 16 July. Within sight of the finish line, she felt something hit her head and something went wrong with her hand. She was taken to a Baltimore shock trauma center where a doctor told her she had been struck by a boat propeller.
- 18 July accident in Canada – 28 July 2016 WindsorStar “Freak Boating Accident on Detroit River Costs Wakeboarder His Left Leg” reports updates the status of Erik Belanger, 23 of Tilbury Ontario Canada, who was wakeboarding the Detroit River near Fighting Island on July 18th. Erik and his friends were out on his father’s pontoon boat powered by two 300 horsepower outboards. Erik was in the water behind the boat while his friends were stowing his wakeboard while the engine was idling. The wakeboard struck the throttle, the boat shifted into reverse, and ran over Erik Belanger. When Erik surfaced he could see pieces of his leg floating in the water. His left leg was later amputated below the knee. His father and a friend were able to pull him on board. He was taken to Windsor Regional Hospital in Ouellette.
- D?10 July accident New Jersey – 11 July 2016 The SandPaper (Surf City, New Jersey) “One Fatality in Oyster Creek Channel Accident” reports Sunday afternoon July 10, a 16 foot skiff was in Oyster Creek Channel near Barnegat Light. Chan Kang, 26 of Hainesport, was on the skiff. A 36 foot speedboat struck the rear of the skiff about 2:20pm Sunday afternoon. Mr. Kang “was ejected from the 16-foot skiff after the crash and sustained fatal injuries” per the accident report. A medical doctor also on board the skiff unsuccessfully tried to save Mr. Kang. Some sources say Chan Kang was allegedly struck by the propeller. A first responder said he literally held his heart in his hands.
- 10 July TWO accidents – CANADA – 10 July 2016 Simcore Reformer “Pottahawk Uneventful – Police” reports a very large local on water celebration off Pottahawk Point on Lake Erie had the normal injuries plus two propeller strikes. One male of which was carried off on a stretcher while bleeding seriously.
- D 9 July accident – 10 July 2016 News-Press (Florida) “7-year-old Killed, Thrown From Boat Charlotte County” reports a 7 year old boy and his father were on a boat near Stump Pass Marina about 9 am Saturday morning July 9th. The father started the engine and the young boy was ejected, and struck by the propeller. The young boy was taken to Englewood Community Hospital, where he died from his wounds.
- D 6 July accident – 8 July 2016 Chiangrai Times (Thailand) “Chinese Boy in Critical Condition After Being Cut Up by Boat Propeller in Krabi” reports Le Yuheng, an 18 year old male tourist from China, was swimming near Phi Phi Leh Island with other tourists when he was struck by a boat propeller. He was stuck by the propeller of the tour boat he and 33 other tourists were with, the Poseidon 959. The tour boat operator said the boat was drifting toward striking another boat after it broke loose from being anchored. He started the engine, unaware the boy was near the propeller, to move it back to where the boat belonged. The boy was taken to Krabi Hospital with little hope for survival. He suffered serious cuts to his legs and right arm, and was in a coma. A Phuket Gazette photo showed a boat powered by three large silver colored outboards. The Gazette reported the boat was started so its rocking movement would not hurt tourists. Later reports indicate the boy died.
- 6 July accident – 8 July 2016 AuburnPub (New York) “Victimes in Skaneateles Lake Boating Accident Identified; Girl, 8, Loses Arm and Leg” reports 8 year old Kaelynne Driscoll and her father, 32 year old Christopher Driscoll, were riding a tube on Skaneateles Lake on Wednesday evening July 6th. The tube struck a wake, they fell off, and the 17 foot Bayliner boat circled back to pick them up. Both were struck by the boat’s propeller. Nearby boaters helped get them to the Route 41A boat ramp where both were taken to Upstate University Hospital for emergency surgery. The young girl lost an arm and a leg and suffered a traumatic head injury.
- 5 July accident – 6 July 2016 Bristol Herald Courier (New York) “Authorities: Woman, 51, Injured in Boating Accident” reports from Queensbury, New York that a 51 year old woman from upstate New York was on a boat in the Hudson River on Tuesday July 5th about a mile north of the Queensbury boat ramp. About 4pm the 19 foot boat hit a wake, she was ejected, and struck by the propeller. The lady was taken to Albany Medical Center Hospital.
- 3 July 2016 accident in Australia – 3 August 2016 7 News (Yahoo Australia) “Mandurah Man’s Leg Ripped Apart in Freak Boating Accident” reports Tim Stubenrauch of Dawesville was practicing for the Avan Descent race when the boat ejected him into the propeller near Bridgetown in July. His leg was ripped from the bone. He has since had 3 operations and 7 blood transfusions, but still hopes to be able to watch the start of the race this Saturday.
- 3 July accident – 13 July 2016 Havasu News (Arizona) “Boater Arrested on Disorderly Conduct Charge in Bridgewater Channel” reports that while visiting with a disorderly boater, officers were approached by a woman “requesting medical attention for a laceration on her leg from a boat propeller.”
- 3 July accident – 4 July 2016 NECN (New England – New Hampshire) “PD: Drunk Boater Strikes Cousin on Lake” reports Brian McComiskey, 38 of Woburn Massachusetts, was water skiing on Baxter Lake in Rochester New Hampshire on Sunday 3 July. His cousin was operating the boat when he was struck in the leg by the propeller about 4:30pm. Those on board got him back on the boat and took him to Grandview Campground and he was life flighted to Maine Medical Center.
- 1 July 2016 accident – 2 July 2016 KomoNews (Seattle Washington) “2 Injured After Boat Crashes Into Kayak on Lake Stevens” reports a boat hit a kayak on Lake Stevens on Friday night July 1st. Both individuals (one male and one female) on the kayak were ejected. The male was struck in the arm by the boat propeller. Both individuals previously onboard the kayak were taken to Province Medical Center.
- 30 June accident – 1 July 2016 LakeExpo (Osage Beach, Missouri) “Man Hit by Propeller on Lake of the Ozarks, Seriously Injured” reports Nathan Nelson, 30 of Taylorville Illinois, was on a boat on Lake of the Ozarks about 4:40pm June 30th. The Nordic boat was going south in the Gravois Arm of the Lake, Mr. Nelson fell from the back of the boat onto the propeller, went under the boat, and surfaced on the port side. Nelson was taken to Lake Regional Hospital with serious injuries.
- 26 June accident – 29 June 2016 Chanhassen Villager (Minnesota) “Boy Injured by Boat Propeller on Lake Waconia” reports a 12 year old boy and a 13 year old boy were boating on Lake Waconia approaching 1pm 26 June. The 13 year old boy reached for something at the rear of the boat, fell overboard, and was struck by the propeller. The other boy got him back into the boat and to the dock. The injured boy was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center. Both boys were wearing life jackets, had boat operator permits, and there was no indication of unsafe operation.
- 25 June accident – 27 June 2016 CBS Miami (Florida) “Ski Boat’s Prop Severs Part of Man’s Leg” reports Logan Farquhar was on a boat Saturday night 25 june off St. Augustine Florida. A ski boat ran over that boat and fled the scene. Mr. Farquhar’s fiance said, “the propeller of the ski boat cut off Farquhar’s lower leg.”
- 19 June accident – 19 June 2016 Keye TV (Austin Texas) “Child Taken to Hospital After Being Hit by Boat Propeller” reports an emergency call came in about 2:30 pm Sunday 19 June from Lake Travis. A child had been struck by a boat propeller. KVUE reported it was 9 year old boy hit by a prop near Mansfield Dam close to Commanders Point Yacht Basin.
- 19 June accident in Mexico – 31 August 2016 Dorset Echo (U.K. publication) “Yasmin Guler, 29, from Weyouth, Lost Her Leg in a Motorboat Accident in Mexico” reports Yasmin Guler, 29 of Weymouth Wales (U.K.) was a scuba instructor out with some interns 20 June 2016 at Cozumel, Mexico where she was nearing time for a return trip to the U.K. after being gone for 15 months. Her legs became caught in the propeller. Six days later one leg was amputated. Now, two months later, they are trying to raise funds to go to the hospital in London.
- D 19 June accident in Malta – “Briton Dies After Being Struck by Boat Propeller in Hondoq ir-Rummien” reports a 76 year old male from Briton was swimming in Hondoq ir-Rummien bay (on the Island of Malta) shortly after noon when he was struck and killed by the propeller of a boat driven by a 19 year old male from Nadur. The Briton died during the ambulance ride to Gozo General Hospital.
- 12 June accident – 12 June 2016 Fond du Lac Reporter (Wisconsin) “FDL Man’s Leg Lacerated by Boat Propeller” reports a 32 year old male was boating on Lake Winnebago on Sunday 12 June. About 3:30 pm he jumped from the back of the boat in preparation to riding a tube when the boat was about 3/4 mile offshore of Fond du Lac. “One of the man’s legs got caught in the propeller”. He was taken to shore and life flighted to Theda Clark Medical Center in Neenah.
- 30 May accident – 31 May 2016 Tribune Star (Terre Haute, Indiana) “Drowning, ATV Crash, Boat Propeller Cut Mar Holiday Weekend” reports Robert Davis, age 43, jumped from his pontoon boat to retrieve a ski rope about 4:15 pm Monday 30 May on Racoon Lake. Davis thought the motor was not running, but he was struck by the propeller on the front of his knee and taken to Hendricks Regional Hospital in Danville.
- 29 May accident – 30 May 2016 Journal Review, Crawfordsville Indiana “Boat Propeller Injures Woman at Lake Waveland” reports Tkayline Yester, female age 40 from Portage, was a passenger on a boat on Lake Waveland about 10 am Sunday morning 29 May. The boat struck a submerged object, she was ejected, and struck it the hand by the propeller of the 14 foot Fisher boat. She was taken to St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis.
- 29 May 2016 accident – 29 May 2016 KXAN (Austin Texas) reports a male boat propeller victim on Lake Austin / Lake Travis was brought by boat to a ramp near the Pennybacker Bridge. He was life flighted to University Medical Center Breckenridge. This was the second prop strike on the lake in two days. The Statesman reported the man was in his twenties (just like the lady struck the day before) and emergency crews responded to the ramp near Pennybacker Bridge about 6 pm Sunday evening. Lake Austin is basically a river that runs from Lake Travis to Austin.
- 28 May accident – 28 May 2016 Time Warner Cable News Austin (Texas) “Woman Struck by Boat Propeller on Lake Austin” reports a woman in here twenties was stuck by a boat propeller on Lake Travis near Austin, Saturday 28 May. She was at Emerald Point Marina when she was struck. A report in the Statesman said she was near Devil’s Cove, emergency personnel responded to Emerald Point Marina, and on to Lakeway Regional Medical Center. Lake Austin is basically a river that runs from Lake Travis to Austin.
- D 27 May 2016 accident in Mexico – 28 May 2016 Riviera Maya News “Woman Dies After Being Hit by Boat” reports a woman training for the upcoming Cancun-Isla Mujeres swimming competition was swimming in Cancun’s Playa Tortugas on Friday 27 May. A boat captain left Playa Linda headed to Punta Cancun, did not see her in the water, she was struck in the head by the propeller a little before 9am, and pronounced dead at the shore. The report says she was swimming outside the marked buoy zone. Please note we are used to seeing reports being a bit dynamic from Mexico and similar water tourism destinations.
- D 25 May accident in Cyprus – 26 May 2016 Cyprus Mail “Dead Man in Sea Identified as Tourist, Search for Boat Continues” reports a fishing boat spotted the body of 52 year old tourist from Russia floating about 400 meters off Protaras on Wednesday 25 May. His body was taken to Famagusta General Hospital. The man reportedly “had deep wounds along his right side, from the neck down to his feet, which indicated he had been injured by a propeller.” A search is on for the boat that struck him.
- 21 May accident – 13 May 2016 WSB-TV (Atlanta Georgia) “Teen Loses Foot in Lake Lanier Boating Accident” reports Shane Malloy, 19, fell from a boat on Lake Lanier about 4:30pm Saturday 21 May. One of his feet was cut off by the propeller and his other foot was severely lacerated. Shane Malloy was life flighted to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta. A WSB-TV news video showed the vessel might have been a pontoon boat. Locals are concerned about the possibility for more boating accidents over the upcoming Memorial Day Weekend.
- 14 May accident Canada – 15 May 2016 Castanet (Canada) “Kali Lake Rescue” reports a man and woman fell from an inflatable Zodiac boat on 14 May on Kalamalka (Kal) Lake. The woman was struck by the propeller and the man was in the water quite a while awaiting help. Both were taken to Vernon Jubile Hospital in British Columbia Canada. An accompanying YouTube video showed the unmanned boat circling in the Circle of Death.
- D 7 May 2016 accident – 10 May 2016 Naples Daily News “Swamp Buggies: Racer Tyler Johns of Naples loses part of arm in airboat accident” reports a well known swamp buggy racer was in his personal airboat with his wife, young daughter, and friends on the Everglades late Saturday 7 May. About 11 pm the airboat became stuck. Tyler Johns, 32, was off the airboat pushing it. When the boat broke loose, it slid into him and severed his left arm above the elbow. If not for the off duty nurse on another airboat that happened to be nearby he may have bled to death in the swamp. Even without part of his arm, Johns navigated and drove his airboat out of the Everglades in time to be saved. He was taken by ambulance and then life flighted to Kendall Regional Medical Center.
- 5 May accident – 6 May 2016 Dallas Morning News (Texas) “Toddler, Son of Lewisville Firefighter, Struck by Boat Propeller After Fall Into Lake Ray Hubbard” reports three year old Aiden McKitrick was on a pontoon boat near Rush Creek Yacht Club on Lake Ray Hubbard on Thursday May 5th. The young boy was playing near the gate, fell overboard, was struck by the propeller, and his father pulled him from the water. Aiden was taken to Children’s Medical Center in Dallas. Dallas CBS says the accident occurred about 8:30pm.
- D 25 April 2016 accident in Guyana – 10 April 2017 Stabroeknews (Guyana) “No Evidence About a Shallow Grave or Gutted Body Was Led In Court” reports an accident on the Pomeroon River in Guyana on 25 April 2016. A motor boat and a smaller non-motorized ballyhoo were involved in the accident. A government pathologist examined Mohamed Abdool Shameer’s body and found his death was instantaneous and his injuries (cuts on his torso) were consistent with propeller cuts from the 75 horsepower motor.
- 15 April accident – 18 April 2016 Grand Forks Herald (Minnesota) “Minnesota Boaters Flung From Boat, Woman Run Over More Than Once” reports Lora Sweet, 51, and Timothy Bahama, 48, both from Brainerd Minnesota, were in a 17 foot tiller steered fishing boat powered by a 40 horsepower outboard on Rice Lake on Friday 15 April. They were both flung from the boat into the cold water about 6pm, the boat went into the Circle of Death, and ran over Sweet more than once. She was taken by ambulance to Essentia Health-St Joseph’s Medical Center in Brainerd, the life flighted to Hennepin County Medical Center in Robbinsdale. Brainerd Dispatch reported she was struck in the left hand by the propeller.
- D 9 April accident in Thailand – 10 April 2016 Phuket News (Thailand) “Myanmar Fisherman Dead, Slashed by Propeller” reports Nai, 30, a migrant fisherman from Myanmar, was a fishing boat crew member of the Ekmongkolchai 111, south of Koh Dokmai, east of Phuket on 9 April. About 9:45pm, Nai fell from the stern while relieving himself while the boat was underway. He was struck in the abdomen and inner thigh by the propeller. He died on the scene.
- 25 March accident in Australia – 25 March 2016 Sydney Morning Herald “Girl, 11, Severely Injured by Propeller in Speed Boat Accident on the Hawkesbury River in Lower Portland” reports an eleven year old girl was in a small boat on Hawkesbury River at Lower Portland on the afternoon of 25 March. She fell from the “aluminum boat and struck her head on the propeller.” A boy pulled her to shore. She was life flighted to Children’s Hospital Westmead. Sky News reported the girl is thought to have suffered a fractured skull.
- 6 March accident in New Zealand – 6 March 2016 New Zealand Herald (New Zealand) “Man Suffers Nasty Gash After Boat Accident” reports a man in his 20s and two other people were in an inflatable Thundercat off Muriwai Beach 6 March. About 1:45pm the man fell from the vessel and was struck from his upper to thigh to his abdomen by the propeller. He was life flighted to North Shore Hospital. A spokesman for the Muriwai Volunteer Life Guard Service said, “the vessel did not have a prop guard – which could have prevented the accident.”
- 5 March accident – 10 March 2016 Palm Beach Post “Boat Propeller Mangles Man’s Face; Many Surgeries Ahead” reports Daniel Pena, 20 from the Lantana Florida area, was on his boat with his nephew on the Intracoastal Waterway south of Ocean Avenue Bridge on Saturday 5 March. A boat came by, created a large wake, Daniel was ejected, and struck by the propeller of his own boat. His nephew was able to get him back in the boat. Daniel was struck in the face by the propeller. He lost all his teeth and part of his tounge. He was taken to Delray Medical Center. Daniel Pena will be moved to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami “for at least 20 rounds of surgery.” A GoFundMe page created by friends and family to help fund medical costs is tracking his progress.
- 29 February accident in Australia – 29 February 2016 Brisbane Times (Australia) “Girl Visiting Moreton Island Hit by Boat Propeller” reports a 14 year old girl got her hair caught in a boat propeller while visiting Moreton Island today 29 February. While injuries are reported to be minor, she was nonetheless life flighted to Brisbane due to the nature of those injuries. Other reports indicate she was trapped underwater while entangled in the prop.
- 16 February accident in Thailand – 16 February 2016 Phuket News (Thailand) “Speedboat Crew Member Slashed by Propeller” reports Kreetha Sarawaree,33, was helping to make room for another boat at the pier in Koh Lao Landing in Krabi the morning of 16 February. He was a crew member of the Srisawat 5 when he fell into the water onto the propeller of the boat as it backed up to the crowded pier. His back was “slashed open by a boat propeller.” The Srisawat 5 is a tour boat with the Phi Phi Tour Company.
- 3 February accident in Thailand – 3 February 2016 Khaaosod “Speedboat Propeller Severs Tourist’s Leg” reports two Russian tourists were snorkeling near Maya Bay on Koh Phi Phi Lee island the morning of 3 February. A twin engine Sunsan boat carrying about 30 passengers ran over them. The boat’s propeller nearly severed the right leg of a 30 year old Russian male (later identified as Sergei Dmitriev,30). The other Russian man (later identified as Dmitry Kuryanov, 48)was injured, suffering deep cuts to his leg per other reports. Both men were taken to a hospital. Later reports indicate Dmitriev’s right leg was later amputated and he was life flighted to Vejthani Hospital in Bangkok.
- 30 January accident – 1 February 2016 Bradenton Herald (Florida) “Boy Scouts Help Save Boy’s Life After Boat Accident in Manatee River’ reports on 30 January two people were in a small 12 foot boat on the Upper Manatee River west of Fort Hamer Park. About 7pm the small boat struck a submerged object and both occupants were ejected. “The juvenile was trapped on the motor which caused serious injuries.” (A 7 year old boy was entrapped on the propeller.) A bystander pulled the boy to the beach. The young boy in critical condition was then tended to by a Scoutmaster and a scout who arrived by canoe after hearing someone was injured. The boy was life flighted to All Children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg.
- D? 24 January accident in Nigeria – 26 January 2016 The New Dawn (Nigeria) “Police Pickup Kalando” reports a Nigerian banker, Don Orogun, went fishing Sunday 24 January with George Kailondo on Du River. Don Orogun is said to have fallen in the river near Barracuda Resort. While Kailondo was trying to rescue him, Orogun was wounded by the propeller and disappeared from sight. The bank issued a call for the nation to keep Mr. Orogun in their prayers as the search for him continues.
- 23 January accident in Australia – 23 January 2016 The Chronicle (Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia) “Man Falls From Speedboat and Suffers Propeller Cuts” reports a man in his 40’s was in a speedboat near Leslie Dam, fell from the boat, and was struck by the propeller. He was struck in the head and suffered propeller cuts left arm. The man was transported by ambulance to Warwick Hospital, then life flighted to Toowoomba Hospital.
- D 20 January 2016 accident in Borneo – 21 January 2016 Borneo Post Online “Woman Killed by Fishing Boat Propeller: reports Gala Chapi, 55, had gone out on the ocean about 3 am January 20th to help her husband, a commercial fisherman. On their way back to shore, she fell from the boat, passed under the boat, and was fatally struck by the propeller. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
- 17 January accident in Australia – 19 January 2016 Hawkesbury Gazette “Teen in Stable Condition After Boating Accident” reports a 14 year old boy was in a boat at South Maroota on Saturday 17 January. He was getting ready to wake board, fell from the boat, went under the boat, and was struck by the propeller. The boy was struck “on the left side of his upper torso and his right hip.” He was life flighted to Westmead Children’s Hospital where surgeons worked to repair his injuries. Thanks to one of our Australian viewers for calling this accident to our attention.
- D 9 January accident in Indonesia – 10 January 2016 Jakarta Post (Jakarta, Indonesia) “Korean Tourist Dies in Banana Boat Accident” reports Kim Hong Soek, a 19 year old tourist from South Korea was riding a banana boat (large towed inflatable) behind a tow boat in the Riau Islands (in Indonesia) on Saturday 9 January. A resort employee was operating the boat towing the banana boat. Kim Hong and another passenger fell from the banana boat. The resort employee and his assistant turned the boat around to go pick them up. The operator and his assistant were both ejected, the boat went into the Circle of Death, and struck Kim Hong. He died from “injuries sustained from the propeller.” We provide more details on this accident at Kim Hong Soek Riding Banana Boat Killed by Propeller
- D 9 January accident – 9 January 2016 Honolulu Star Advertiser (Hawaii) “2 Divers Injured, One Fatally in Ocean Incident Off Lanikai” reports a 59 year old man and his 25 year old stepson were diving off Lanikai Beach on Saturday 9 January. About 1pm the 25 year old male was “struck by the propeller of a passing boat.” He was taken to shore and on to a local trauma center. The older man’s body was found two later. SF Gate and KHON both later confirmed the Medical Examiners Office later said the older man, Sri Shim, died from blunt trauma and propeller injuries. He and his stepson were both struck by the propeller of a 24 foot inflatable boat.
- D 7 January accident in Rakyat – 7 January 2016 Rakyat Post (near Malaysia) “Man Dies After Boat Capsizes, Another Injured” reports two men in their thirties were in a single engine boat off the coast of Tambak Pontian Baru 7 January. About 1:10 pm the boat struck some rocks and both men were ejected. One man was quickly rescued by bystanders, a search began for the other man. His body was found about 2:45pm. The deceased man had a head wound, thought to have been caused by the propeller. Malayasian Insider later confirmed it was a Circle of Death accident, the boat circled back and struck the men. New Straights Times later identified the deceased man as 58 year old Zainal Abdullah. The other man, his nephew, was 41 year old Usman Umar who was also struck by the propeller as he tried to save his uncle.
- D 5 Jan accident in Thailand – 5 January 2016 Washington Post (Thailand accident) “Thai police say French tourist dead after boat hits her” reports a 52 year old French lady was snorkeling with her family in Krabi province, a resort province, in southern Thailand 5 January when she was struck by a boat. The lady suffered a fatal head wound “that might have come from a sharp object such as a propeller. The boat captain later surrendered but said he was not aware of hitting the lady. Phuket News confirmed it was a propeller strike off Poda Island and identified the female French tourist as Sylvie Thietau. Photos show the vessel involved to be a larger powerboat for that region, with two large silver colored outboard motors.
*************** Tuesday 5 July 2016 – 4th of July Weekend Ends ***********
*********Friday 1 July 2016 – July 4th Weekend begins ****************
********Memorial Day Weekend ends Monday 30 May 2016 **********
*********Memorial Day Weekend Begins Friday 27 May 2016 **********
Previous Year – 2015 Boat Propeller Accidents