Media coverage of 2019 recreational boat propeller accidents.
If you are aware of coverage of a 2018 propeller accident that is not reported here, please contact us.
Fatal accidents are coded immediately in front of the reporting data as:
D indicates a U.S. fatality
D indicates a fatality outside the U.S.
- D 9 March accident in New Zealand – 11 March 2019 New Zealand Herald “Coromandel beach tragedy: Teen on sea biscuit fatally struck by boat propeller” reports a teenage boy was being towed on an inflatable Saturday 9 March 2019 near Pauanui Beach. Per a spokesperson with the life flight service, the tow boat was struck by a wave and spun around at the boy. The young man was killed by the boat propeller. One of his friends was also struck by the propeller. The deceased boy was later identified as 13 year-old Billy Crabb
- D 8 March accident – 8 March NBC2 (Florida) “Woman dies after being hit in the head by a boat propeller near Lani Kai Resort” reports a woman was trying to help push a boat off a sandbar just off the Lani Kai Resort at Fort Meyers Florida. She slipped and was struck in the head by a boat propeller about 6:30pm. Officials are not sure in the propellers were turning or not. Video shows the props running at some time and the boat appears to be powered by triple outboard motors. The lady died from her wounds. At this time officials are unsure if she died at the hospital or enroute. It is a Spring Break weekend at the beach. PropellerSafety statement – While it is way too early to assume exactly what happened, one cannot help but remember the D.J. Laz sandbar incident a few years ago near Miami.
- 7 March accident in Bangladesh – The Daily Star (Bangladesh) “Buriganga Boat Capsize: 1 Body Found, 5 Still Missing” reports seven members of one family in a wedding party were on a boat near the Sadarghat boat ramp on Thursday night 7 March. They were on the boat to go out and board a larger vessel. The boat capsized. One body was found, 5 are missing. One family member was able to swim to shore, Shahjalal made it to shore but lost a leg to a boat propeller. The boat sank when it was hit by another boat.
- 26 January accident in Australia – Perth News (Australia) “Man Injured in Australian Day Accident” reports a 25 year old man on the Swan River near North Freemantle was struck by a boat propeller on 26 January (Australia Day).
- 5 January accident in Thailand – 6 January ThaiNews (Thailand) “No Success in Finding Man Who Fell Off Boat” reports Withoon Ouitrakul, 31, and two others fell from a 40 HP 19 foot boat in a sharp turn on Saturday 5 January 2019. Withoon Ouitrakul’s head was struck by the boat propeller. His 7 months pregnant wife performed a ritual at sea. They are still searching for his body.
- D 20 January accident in New Zealand – 20 New Zealand Herald “Teenage girl airlifted from Waipiro Bay after being struck by boat prop” reports a 14 year-old girl was struck by a boat propeller on 20 January. The accident occurred in Bay of Islands on the East coast of the North island of New Zealand near the area known as Waipiro Bay.
Previous Year – 2018 Boat Propeller Accidents