Media coverage of 2019 recreational boat propeller accidents.
If you are aware of coverage of a 2018 propeller accident that is not reported here, please contact us.
Fatal accidents are coded immediately in front of the reporting data as:
D indicates a U.S. fatality
D indicates a fatality outside the U.S.
- D 23 June accident in California – 24 June 2019 FOX10 (Phoenix AZ reporting on accident in California) “an dies after being struck by boat propeller at Lake Havasu: Sheriff” reports Ismael Ortiz was operating a boat going South on Lake Havasu at California Bay on Sunday 23 June. He stopped the boat and jumped into the water. The boat began to drift away and he began to struggle. A passenger put the boat in reverse, left the helm, went to the stern to help him back into the boat. Ortiz was fatally struck by the propeller.
- 16 June accident – 17 June 2019 WSMV (Tennessee) “Boater suffers serious accident on Tennessee River” reports rescuers found two people on a boat, one struck by a boat propeller, on Kentucky Lake in Perry County, Tennessee on Sunday evening 16 June. The injured party was life flighted to medical care.
- 15 June accident – 15 June 2019 YakTriNews (State of Washington) “Man seriously injured after hitting boat propeller in Columbia River” reports a man in his 20s was entering a boat after tubing on the Columbia River near Hydro Island. The boat operator began going forward with the boat, the man fell backwards over the stern, and was struck by the propeller. He was taken to the hospital. Alcohol was not thought to have been a factor in the accident.
- 15 June accident in Bermuda – 16 June 2019 BerNews (Bermuda) “Woman Injured By Boat Propeller At Shelly Bay” reports a woman’s leg was cut by a boat propeller at Shelly Bay 15 June. She was transported to medical care.
- 8 June accident in the Maldives – 8 June AVAS (Maldives) “German tourist injured in accident involving diving boat propeller” reports a German tourist was diving at the Manti diving point near the Paradise Island Resort. He was taken there by the Finolhu Diving School. While there, he was struck in the leg by a diving boat from Paradise Island Resort. The man was taken to Tree Top Hospital in Hulhumale’.
- 28 May accident – 29 May Northwest Florida Daily News (NWFD) “Friends raise money for Destin woman injured in boating accident reports Lee Ann Dorn, 55, stepped on the stern of a boat near Destin and was struck by the propeller. She was life flighted to Fort Walton Beach Medical Center. Three doctors and a nurse just happened to be on the beach nearby and quickly responded to save her. Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FFWCC)’s accident report form said she and others had jumped in while the boat was still moving.
- 26 May accident – 8 June 2019 Miami Herald “A man needed a blood transfusion — quickly. This Keys rescue crew was ready” reports Osmany Zamora, adult male, was struck a boat propeller in the lower Florida Keys on 26 May. He was taken to Lower Keys Medical Center on Stock Island. From there he needed to be transferred to a trauma center on the mainland (Florida mainland) but life flight helicopter time is about 50 to 55 minutes from the rural hospital. Zamora had lost a lot of blood. The flight crew had been recently trained in performing on flight blood transfusions which Zamora’s wife credits with saving his life.
- D 26 May accident in Australia – 27 May 2019 Western Australia Today “‘You never know’: Family of Derek Jones distraught at boating tragedy” reports Derek Jones, in his 40s, went out fishing with a friend on Sunday morning 26 May. They were North of of Hillarys, a town near Perth in Southwestern Australia. The men were in an aluminum dingy powered by a Mercury Mariner outboard motor. Something happened, both men were ejected, the boat went into the Circle of Death. Derek Jones was fatally struck in the head by the boat propeller.
- 26 May accident – 26 May Long Island News (New York) “Police: Woman injured in Oyster Bay boating accident” reports during a Memorial Day celebration at Oyster Bay, a woman was struck in the arm by a boat propeller about noon Sunday 26 May. Rescuers were in process of life flighting her when she regained consciousness and was then sent by ambulance to a hospital.
- 25 May accident in California – 29 May Today’s News Herald Havasu News “12-year-old hurt by boat propeller, possible drowning reported over Memorial Day weekend” reports a 12 year old boy from Mesa was swimming in the Colorado River near Emerald Cove in San Bernadino County, California. The boy’s father was operating a boat pulling some tubers when his son was struck. ParkerLive reports he was struck in the legs by the propeller and life flighted to Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
- 15 May accident – 16 May 2018 CJOnline (Topeka Capital-Journal) Kansas – “One injured Wednesday night in boating accident on Lake Shawnee” reports a male was cut by a boat propeller on Lake Shawnee Wednesday evening about 8:30pm 15 May near the east boat ramp.
- D 2 May 2019 accident in Republic of Maldives – 2 May 2019 Raajje “41-yo Bangladeshi dies after hitting boat propeller” reports a 41 year old male from Bangladeshi was steering a boat in the Maldives, fell into the water, and was fatally struck in the head by the boat propeller. The man had been working with a diving vessel from Haveli Resort on Alif Alif atoll. Eyewitness reports say his shirt was entrapped in the propeller.
- D 9 March accident in New Zealand – 11 March 2019 New Zealand Herald “Coromandel beach tragedy: Teen on sea biscuit fatally struck by boat propeller” reports a teenage boy was being towed on an inflatable Saturday 9 March 2019 near Pauanui Beach. Per a spokesperson with the life flight service, the tow boat was struck by a wave and spun around at the boy. The young man was killed by the boat propeller. One of his friends was also struck by the propeller. The deceased boy was later identified as 13 year-old Billy Crabb
- D 8 March accident – 8 March NBC2 (Florida) “Woman dies after being hit in the head by a boat propeller near Lani Kai Resort” reports a woman was trying to help push a boat off a sandbar just off the Lani Kai Resort at Fort Meyers Florida. She slipped and was struck in the head by a boat propeller about 6:30pm. Officials are not sure in the propellers were turning or not. Video shows the props running at some time and the boat appears to be powered by triple outboard motors. The lady died from her wounds. At this time officials are unsure if she died at the hospital or enroute. It is a Spring Break weekend at the beach. PropellerSafety statement – While it is way too early to assume exactly what happened, one cannot help but remember the D.J. Laz sandbar incident a few years ago near Miami.
- 7 March accident in Bangladesh – The Daily Star (Bangladesh) “Buriganga Boat Capsize: 1 Body Found, 5 Still Missing” reports seven members of one family in a wedding party were on a boat near the Sadarghat boat ramp on Thursday night 7 March. They were on the boat to go out and board a larger vessel. The boat capsized. One body was found, 5 are missing. One family member was able to swim to shore, Shahjalal made it to shore but lost a leg to a boat propeller. The boat sank when it was hit by another boat.
- 26 January accident in Australia – Perth News (Australia) “Man Injured in Australian Day Accident” reports a 25 year old man on the Swan River near North Freemantle was struck by a boat propeller on 26 January (Australia Day).
- 5 January accident in Thailand – 6 January ThaiNews (Thailand) “No Success in Finding Man Who Fell Off Boat” reports Withoon Ouitrakul, 31, and two others fell from a 40 HP 19 foot boat in a sharp turn on Saturday 5 January 2019. Withoon Ouitrakul’s head was struck by the boat propeller. His 7 months pregnant wife performed a ritual at sea. They are still searching for his body.
- D 20 January accident in New Zealand – 20 New Zealand Herald “Teenage girl airlifted from Waipiro Bay after being struck by boat prop” reports a 14 year-old girl was struck by a boat propeller on 20 January. The accident occurred in Bay of Islands on the East coast of the North island of New Zealand near the area known as Waipiro Bay.
************ Memorial Day Weekend Ends Monday 27 May 2019 ***************
*********** Memorial Day Weekend Starts Friday 24 May 2019 ***************
Previous Year – 2018 Boat Propeller Accidents