Media coverage of 2020 recreational boat propeller accidents.
If you are aware of coverage of a 2020 propeller accident that is not reported here, please contact us.
Fatal accidents are coded immediately in front of the reporting data as:
D indicates a U.S. fatality
D indicates a fatality outside the U.S.
- 7 July – 7 July 2020 GoErie (Pennsylvania) “Girl injured in boat-tubing accident on Lake Erie near peninsula’s Beach 10” reports a 10 year old girl was on a towed tube near Presque Isle State Park about 7pm July 7th in Pennsylvania. The tow rope became caught in the propeller and pulled her into the propeller. She was taken to a hospital.
- 6 July accident – 7 July 2020 Chesapeake Bay Magazine (Maryland accident) “Child Hit by Boat Propeller, Suffers Serious Injuries” reports three juveniles were in a 12 foot dinghy on Sue Creek, a creek off of Middle River, on Monday 6 July. “The dinghy hit a wave, and the juveniles were tossed out of the boat. The boat somehow ran over one of the juveniles, and the boat’s propeller struck him.” The boy was taken to Shock Trauma for treatment.
- 4 July accident – 6 July 2020 The Chetek Alert (Wisconsin) “Fatal crash, injured boater make for busy Fourth of July weekend” reports first responder activities over the weekend including Tera Busker, age 41 of Busker Wisconsin, was on a pontoon boat on Lake Pokegama Lake about 4pm July 4th. News reports seem to indicate she was bow riding the pontoon boat, fell off, and was struck by the boat’s propeller. She was life flighted to a hospital in Eau Claire.
- 4 July accident – 6 July 2020 Cumberland (Maryland) Times-News “One hurt, one charged following lake boating accident” reports from McHenry Maryland. About 5:30 pm July 4th, a boat on Deep Creek Lake docked for fuel. The passengers jumped off the rear of the boat to swim. Shortly later the boat operator put the boat in reverse, failing to see if everyone was onboard. A passenger was struck in the leg by the boat’s propeller. He was taken to a medical center.
- 4 July accident – 4 July 2020 Ipswitch (Massachusetts) Local News “Serious injury in July 4 Ipswich boat accident” reports 4 men were on a 19 foot aluminum center console boat powered by a Mercury outboard motor in the area of Third Creek Mooring Field on July 4th. The boat took a turn, all 4 men were ejected. The boat went into the Circle of Death, one passenger, a 19 year old male from Ipswitch, was ran over by the boat and suffered life threatening propeller injuries to his lower back. As the boat circled it ran up onto the back deck of a houseboat owned by the victim’s family. The police department boat was on site within 2 minutes of the call for assistance. The injured man was taken to the Ipswitch Bay Yacht Club where he was life flighted to a Boston hospital. The other 3 men were met by an ambulance.
- 3 July accident – 4 July 2020 GoSkagit (State of Washington) “Man injured in Friday boating accident” reports a 19 year old male fell from the bow of a boat (maybe pontoon?) Friday afternoon July 3rd on Lake Cavanaugh. He “was sucked into the boat’s propeller.” The injured man was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.
- 3 July accident in Australia – 4 July 2020 NoosaNews “Man struck in the face by boat propeller at Seaforth” reports a man fell from a boat and was struck in the face by the propeller at Seaforth on 3 July.
- D possible 27 June accident in Canada – 27 June Global News- Canada “1 missing, 2 injured following boating incident on Rice Lake south of Peterborough” reports on a boat accident in Rice Lake about 20 kilometers south of Petersborough, Ontario Canada on the morning of Saturday June 17th about 7:15 am. Three people from the greater Toronto area (GTA) were somehow ejected from a fishing boat. One man was struck by the propeller and taken to a hospital, a second man made it to shore and was later taken to a hospital, a search is being conducted for the third man. UPDATE- the body of the third man, Tien Dat Tran, 41, was recovered Sunday afternoon 28 June. Cause of the accident is under investigation.
- 23 June accident? – 23 June WesternMassNews (Massachusetts) “Search for swimmer in CT River to continue” reports a pontoon boat may have struck a swimmer in the Connecticut River about 3:30pm Tuesday 23 June. Authorities responded but had yet to confirm someone was struck.
- 23 June accident – 23 June 2020 Boston25News (Massachusetts) “DA: Person ‘apparently drowned’ in Mashpee pond after boating accident” reports a man jumped from a boat on Wakeby Pond, a large body of water in Mashpee Massachusetts, on Tuesday 23 June. He was struggling in the water, another man jumped in to help him, the second man was struck by the propeller of the boat which looks like an inboard towboat in the video coverage. The second man was life flighted to medical care. The body of the first man was recovered a few hours later.
- 19 June accident – 21 June 2020 Island Free Press (North Carolina) “Man injured after falling off of boat in Pamlico Sound; brother charged with negligent operation of a motorboat” reports Erik Rasmus, of Virginia, was on the bow of his brothers boat in Pamlico Sound off Hatteras Island, North Carolina on Friday 19 June. He was knocked overboard and struck by the propeller. The injured man was life flighted to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital with lacerations to his legs.
- D 16 June accident – 17 June 2020 WJHG (Panama City, Florida) “Fatal boating accident in Panama City” reports a boat operator was ejected near Watson Bayou in Panama City, Florida on Tuesday evening 16 June. Officials believe he was struck by the propeller. He died from his injuries and has not yet been identified. Panama City Police and Florida Fish and Wildlife officials responded to the scene.
- 16 June accident – 16 June 2020 CapeCod (Massachusetts) “Man injured by boat propeller in Dennis” reports a man was struck inn the leg by a boat propeller off Dennis, Massachusetts on Tuesday evening 16 June. He was taken to Sesuit Harbor and on to Cap Cod Hospital about 8:30pm.
- D 13 June accident – 14 June 2020 Duncan Banner (Oklahoma) “OHP responds to fatality at Waurika Lake” reports a 7 year old girl fell from the swim deck of a 2007 Master Craft near the Kiowa 2 boat ramp in Jefferson County Oklahoma on Waurika Lake about 5.:15 pm Saturday 13 June. There were 9 on board counting the young girl. She was fatally struck by the propeller. Reports say they were going southbound at idle speed. The young girl has since been identified as Kyndi Beth Harkins of Comanche Oklahoma. PropellerSafety comment – seems odd for a 7 year old child to fall from the swim deck and be struck by the propeller of an inboard boat going forward.
- 13 June accident – 15 June 2020 Lake Expo (Lake of Ozarks in Missouri) “Boaters, Heroes: They Jumped To Save Two Men After A Boat Crash On Lake Of The Ozarks” reports Justin Lakso, family, and friends were out in a Sea Ray new Coffman Beach on Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri on Saturday 13 June 2020. The witnessed a PWC run into an Envision boat. Lakso and others on board quickly sprang to the rescue of Jack Koerner and Cole Coffin who had been on the PWC. They were both floating face down with propeller strike wounds. Coffin was life flighted to University Hospital. The swim deck on the Sea Ray was useful and they tried to move him as little as possible. Koerner was taken by ambulance. Thanks to Mr. Lakso, his family, and friends for being great Good Samaritans, and to Lake Expo for the great article.
- 8 June accident – 8 June 2020 WMDT (Maryland) “Two injured following boat accident in Ocean City” reports two women were getting into a boat from the water in Ocean City, Maryland near Macky’s Mayside Bar and Grill on Monday afternoon 8 June. The boat operator started the propeller, one woman was cut by the propeller on her upper thigh and life flighted to medical care, the other woman cut her foot and was taken to a nearby hospital. Later info says one of the women was life flighted to R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.
- 6 June accident – 6 June 2020 Mlive (Michigan) Woman thrown from boat in Holland, medical helicopter called to scene reports a 34 year old woman from Holland Michigan was among passengers thrown from a 12 foot inflatable boat on Lake Macatawa about 2am Saturday morning June 6th. The driver lost control, the boat turned hard, and some passengers were ejected. The woman was struck in the leg by the boat propeller and life flighted to Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital.
- 31 May accident – 2 June 2020 Union-Recorder (Milledgeville Georgia) “Glennville girl critically injured in boating accident” reports Tylee Miles, an 11 year old girl from Glennville Georgia, was riding a tube with others behind a pontoon boat on Lake Sinclair on Sunday 31 May. The tubers were struck by another boat. “She sustained multiple lacerations and broken bones down her right leg where she apparently went under the boat and was struck by the propeller.” She was life flighted to a hospital in Macon Georgia, then taken on to a hospital in Atlanta. A Georgia DNR officer said she was lucky to be alive. The vessel that hit her was also a pontoon boat.
- Late May (Body struck after death) – 1 June 2020 News12 (New York) “Suffolk homicide detectives say body found off of Fire Island” reports partial remains of a male body were found off Fire Island last week. Detectives believe he was already dead before being struck by a boat propeller. More body parts were found Sunday May 31.
- 24 May accident- 28 May 2020 NewsObserver (Raleigh, North Carolina) “‘I’m military, I’m real calm.’ Fort Bragg soldiers aid man hit by boat on Jordan Lake” reports Matt (unknown last name) fell from a pontoon boat on Jordan Lake, the woman driving the pontoon boat was accused of running over him, some nearby military folks picked him up and called 911. The recording said, “he got chopped up by a propeller. … He’s going to bleed out.” The injured man was cut from his thigh to his shin.
- 21 May accident – 21 May 2020 SanAngeloLive (Texas) “SAPD: Two Injured by Propeller at Lake Nasworthy Boat Ramp” reports two people were injured by a boat propeller at a boat ramp on Lake Nasworthy on Beaty Rd off of Knickerbocker Rd. San Angelo Police Department (SAPD) reported “two people were cut on their lower extremities”. MyFoxZone reports they were tubing, the boat that was towing them took a sharp turn, completed a 360 and ran over them. Three people were on the tube. The two injured were teenagers.
- 16 May accident – 16 May 2020 Jacksonville.com (Florida) “Jacksonville firefighters rescue man with leg trapped in boat propeller” reports Jacksonville Florida firefighters rescued a man on Saturday 16 May with his leg entrapped in a boat propeller on Trout River on the city’s northside. “The man managed to keep his head above the surface as he tread water while trying to free himself.” JFRD’s technical rescue team went underwater, removed the propeller, and freed the man’s leg.
- 16 May accident – 16 May 2020 WJHG (Florida) “Coast Guard and local agency rescues two injured girls” reports the Coast Guard responded to a 4:40pm call for help 16 May near Panama City, Florida. The mother of two girls, both struck by a boat propeller placed the call. “One girl suffered a foot laceration and the other a knee laceration.” The Coast Guard stabilized the girls, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) transported them to Panama City Marina where they were met by EMS.
- D 14 May accident in Virgin Islands – 16 May Virgin Islands Daily News (Virgin Islands) “Police Briefs” reports the body of Kenneth Steiner III, age 67, was found floating in Altona Lagoon Thursday evening 14 May. Police report, “The body suffered severe injuries and appears to have been hit by a boat’s propeller.”
- 4 May accident – 24 June 2020 franklin Sun (Louisiana) “Local youth continues to improve after accident” reports Carter Robertson, 8, was laying stomach down on the boat’s front deck with two other children 4 May on a Boeuf River fishing trip. About 6pm two adults were looking a the bank when they noticed Carter was no longer onboard. They report the boat did not hit anything, but he fell out of the boat, the boat ran over him, his head and hand were struck by the propeller. Carter was rushed to Franklin Medical Center, he was stabilized and life flighted to Ochsner LSU Health in Shreveport- St May Medical. Carter is now (late June 2020) in therapy at Children’s Hospital in New Orleans. His current estimated release date is August 6th.
- 3 May accident – 3 May 2020 CBS Local (Sacramento, California) “2 Children Suffer Serious Leg Injuries In Boating Accident In Sacramento” reports on Sunday 3 May two children “tubing in the river suffered significant leg injuries caused by a boat propeller.” They were near the 4000 block of Garden Highway in Sacramento. They were taken to a trauma center.
- D 25 April accident in Bahamas – 27 April 2020 The Tribune (Bahamas) “Boatman Killed In Landing Accident” reports Antonio “Rat” Rolle was bringing his 15 foot Boston Whaler back to the boat ramp near Exuma Point in the Bahamas on Saturday 25 April. He was ejected from the boat, the boat turned around in the Circle of Death, ran over him, he was struck in the head by the boat propeller, and it took them about ten minutes to find his body. When someone pulled his body up to the surface he was unresponsive and later pronounced dead.
- 19 April accident – 23 April 2020 Citrus Chronicle (Florida) “Inverness gives award to deputy after saving injured boy” reports Citrus Florida County Deputy Heath Shaffer rescued a 11 year old boy struck by a boat propeller on 19 April. The boy was struck in the thigh, bleeding badly, and those with him were unable to get him back into the vessel. Deputy Shaffer got him on board, stopped the bleeding, and the boy was life flighted to a hospital.
- D 29 March accident in Florida – 31 March 2020 Metro (UK paper writing about U.S. accident) “Husband saw wife drown after she got trapped under boat during diving trip” reports Mollie Ghiz-Flynn, 37, was on a dive boat trip of Palm Beach Florida with her husband Sean Flynn and others on Sunday 29 March. The dive boat, the 48 foot Southern Comfort, return to pick them up along with other divers, both Mollie and Sean were sucked under the vessel. She became entrapped on the propeller and drowned. There is mention that diving expeditions at that time may have been banned due to the corona virus. A big thanks to Metro for covering this accident while our U.S. media still only provides low key coverage of propeller accidents.
- D 5 March accident – 6 March Wink News (Florida) “Ohio man arrested for leaving scene of deadly boat crash near Vanderbilt Beach” reports from Naples Beach that Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission arrested a male boat operator that left the scene of the fatal propeller strike of a swimmer, 57 year old Onofrio Sozio, near the Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park, north of Vanderbilt Beach in North Naples Floria on 5 March. Witnesses said the hit and run boat operator threw a floatation device to the man that was struck, then drove away. Human remains were later found attached to the lower end of one of the motors on the hit and run boat.
- D 4 March accident – 5 March 2020 Phuket News (Thailand) “Rawai longtail boat accident claims driver’s life” reports a 61-year-old boat operator was struck and killed by the propeller of his longtail boat March coming ashore at Nai Harn Beach in Rawai Thailand on 4 March.
- (2 accidents) 20 February accident in Australia – 29 February 2020 Perth Now (Australia) “Boat Propeller leaves teen with deep cuts during Rottnest Island mishap” reports there were two separate boat propeller accidents. In one a woman in her 50’s was struck in the face, arm, and leg in Mundurah on 29 February. She was taken to Royal Perth Hospital. In the other one an 18 year old man from Rottnest Island suffered lacerations to his left leg by boat propeller on February 28th. He was life flighted to Fiona Stanley Hospital in Jandakot.
- 15 February accident in South Africa – 17 February 2020 Kormorant (Zaire) “Update: Girl (11) stable after Hartbeespoort boat accident” reports an 11 year old girl, Clarissa van Staden, from Hartbeespoort was in a boat with her family and a friend at the Hartbeespoort Dam in South Africa on Saturday 15 February 2020. The boat hit a submerged tree stump, everybody except the young girl’s friend was ejected, the young girl’s arm was severed by the propeller. She was life flighted to Johannesburg.
- 9 February COMMERCIAL VESSEL accident – 27 February 2020 Oregon Live “Body of missing fisherman recovered in waters off Newport” reports Norman Grant was a crew member of the fishing boat F/V Prolifik. He was last seen February 9th. Wednesday another fishing vessel struck something near where the Prolofik had been moored.His body was found and some of his clothing was entangled in the prop of this second vessel.
- 11 January accident in New Zealand – 11 January 2020 New Zealand Herald (New Zealand) “Child struck by boat propeller at Pakatoa Island, Auckland” reports a male child was struck by a boat propeller near Pakotoa Island in the Hauraki Gulf. He was life flighted to Starship Children’s Hospital.
- 3 January accident in Australia – 3 January 2020 Sydney Morning Herald (Australia) “Man hit by boat propeller, suffers serious injuries” reports a male in his 30’s was struck by a boat propeller before 10am off Port Alma on the central Queensland coast. The man was taken to Rockhampton Hospital.
************ Monday 6 July 2020 Fourth of July Weekend ends ***************
************ Friday 3 July 2020 Fourth of July Weekend begins ***************
************ Monday 25 May 2020 Memorial Day Weekend ends ****************
************ Friday 23 May 2020 Memorial Day Weekend begins ***************
Previous Year – 2019 Boat Propeller Accidents