Media coverage of 2020 recreational boat propeller accidents.
If you are aware of coverage of a 2020 propeller accident that is not reported here, please contact us.
Fatal accidents are coded immediately in front of the reporting data as:
D indicates a U.S. fatality
D indicates a fatality outside the U.S.
- 5 March accident – 6 March Wink News (Florida) “Ohio man arrested for leaving scene of deadly boat crash near Vanderbilt Beach” reports from Naples Beach that Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission arrested a male boat operator that left the scene of the fatal propeller strike of a swimmer, 57 year old Onofrio Sozio, near the Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park, north of Vanderbilt Beach in North Naples Floria on 5 March. Witnesses said the hit and run boat operator threw a floation device to the man that was struck, then drove away. Human remains were later found attached to the lower end of one of the motors on the hit and run boat.
- 4 March accident – 5 March 2020 Phuket News (Thailand) “Rawai longtail boat accident claims driver’s life” reports a 61-year-old boat operator was struck and killed by the propeller of his longtail boat March coming ashore at Nai Harn Beach in Rawai Thailand on 4 March.
- (2 accidents) 20 February accident in Australia – 29 February 2020 Perth Now (Australia) “Boat Propeller leaves teen with deep cuts during Rottnest Island mishap” reports there were two separate boat propeller accidents. In one a woman in her 50’s was struck in the face, arm, and leg in Mundurah on 29 February. She was taken to Royal Perth Hospital. In the other one an 18 year old man from Rottnest Island suffered lacerations to his left leg by boat propeller on February 28th. He was life flighted to Fiona Stanley Hospital in Jandakot.
- 15 February accident in South Africa – 17 February 2020 Kormorant (Zaire) “Update: Girl (11) stable after Hartbeespoort boat accident” reports an 11 year old girl, Clarissa van Staden, from Hartbeespoort was in a boat with her family and a friend at the Hartbeespoort Dam in South Africa on Saturday 15 February 2020. The boat hit a submerged tree stump, everybody except the young girl’s friend was ejected, the young girl’s arm was severed by the propeller. She was life flighted to Johannesburg.
- 9 February COMMERCIAL VESSEL accident – 27 February 2020 Oregon Live “Body of missing fisherman recovered in waters off Newport” reports Norman Grant was a crew member of the fishing boat F/V Prolifik. He was last seen February 9th. Wednesday another fishing vessel struck something near where the Prolofik had been moored.His body was found and some of his clothing was entangled in the prop of this second vessel.
- 11 January accident in New Zealand – 11 January 2020 New Zealand Herald (New Zealand) “Child struck by boat propeller at Pakatoa Island, Auckland” reports a male child was struck by a boat propeller near Pakotoa Island in the Hauraki Gulf. He was life flighted to Starship Children’s Hospital.
- 3 January accident in Australia – 3 January 2020 Sydney Morning Herald (Australia) “Man hit by boat propeller, suffers serious injuries” reports a male in his 30’s was struck by a boat propeller before 10am off Port Alma on the central Queensland coast. The man was taken to Rockhampton Hospital.
Previous Year – 2019 Boat Propeller Accidents