Media coverage of 2020 recreational boat propeller accidents.
If you are aware of coverage of a 2020 propeller accident that is not reported here, please contact us.
Fatal accidents are coded immediately in front of the reporting data as:
D indicates a U.S. fatality
D indicates a fatality outside the U.S.
- 31 December accident in Mexico – 31 December 2020 Riviera Maya News (Mexico) reports a woman snorkeling off Mexico was struck by a boat propeller and rushed by the Mexican Navy to a hospital in Cancun 31 December. She had been a tourist with a tour boat the Casual Cruz at Isla Mujeres.
- 28 December accident – 30 December 2020 The Press of Atlantic City (New Jersey) “Stockton men’s basketball coach helps rescue man from water in Atlantic City” reports Scott Bittner, basketball coach at Stockton University Atlantic City, New Jersey, heard someone yelling from his house about 8:30pm Monday evening 28 December. He saw a man stuck between a boat and a dock about 50 yards from his home in Chelsea Court in very cold water. The man was entangled / entrapped in the boat propeller and it took about 15 minutes with the help of another neighbor to free him. The drowning man, in his 60s, was transported to Atlantic Care Regional Medical Center, City Campus and survived.
- 23 December accident in Australia – 23 December 2020 Sunshine Coast Daily (Australia) “Teen struck by boat propeller rushed to hospital” reports a teenager was struck in the leg by a boat propeller off Maroochydore (north of Brisbane, Australia on the Sunshine Coast). The teen was taken to the hospital by a Queensland ambulance.
- D 1 December accident in Australia – 3 December 2020 The West Australian “Swan River search: Body of Ben Prior recovered after two day search for missing boatie in Ascot” reports Ben Prior fell from a dinghy on the Swan River in Western Australia 1 December. He was fatally struck by the propeller and his body was recovered on 3 December.
- D 21 November accident – 25 November Sarasota (FL) Herald Tribune “FWC: Unmanned motorboat struck Sarasota youth sailors” reports a youth sailing fatality. An 18 year-old male was the sole occupant of a powerboat. He was later identified by name and title as a teenage coach. This young man was assisting a capsized youth sailor. The young man lost his footing in the powerboat, fell overboard, his body pushing the boat into gear as he went overboard. The unmanned powerboat took off on its own, striking several small sailboats at the Sarasota Youth Sailing Club. Ethan Isaacs, age 10. was fatally struck by the propeller. PropellerSafety provides in depth coverage of this accident on our Sarasota Sailing Club Propeller Kills Boy: Ethan Isaacs post
- 19 November accident – 20 November 2020 News Chanel Nebraska “Trenton man injured in Swanson Reservoir boating accident” reports a 46 year old male and a dog were the sole passengers of a boat on Swanson Reservoir in Hitchcock County, Nebraska on 19 November 2020. The man was ejected, the boat went into the Circle of Death, and he was struck by the propeller. A nearby boater rescued him and took him to a boat ramp from which he was life flighted to CHI Health Good Samaritan in Kearney Nebraska. Nebraska Game and Parks Commission officers were able to stop the boat and rescued the dog.
- 12 November accident in Australia – 12 November Geelong Advertiser (Australia) “Diver Flown to Hospital After Reported Collision with Boat in Waters off Queenscliff” reports paramedics were called at 4:30 pm 12 November to Queenscliff where a diver had been struck by a boat propeller, He had been in the water near the vessel in Port Phillip Bay. He was life flighted to the hospital.
- 23 October accident – 23 October WYDaily (Daily News for Southeast Virginia) reports two adults were boating on the Chickahominy River in James City County, Virginia on Friday afternoon 23 October.The boat hit a wake. The article says conflicting things about the operator (was thrown out and the boat kept going AND operator got struck by the seat and was thrown down in the boat) the other person was ejected and their legs were struck by the propeller. The boat operator was life flighted to Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center (VCU) in Richmond with life threatening injuries while the other person was taken to the same hospital with propeller strike wounds to their legs.
- 4 October commercial vessel accident in Philippines – 6 October 2020 Manila Bulletin (Philippines) reports Glenn Dineneng, 30, was part of a fishing crew on the F/B Edxel in the West Philippine Sea off Kalayaan Island Group in Palawan on 4 October. He slipped, fell overboard, and was struck in the head by the vessel’s propeller. A message for help was relayed, he was met by the Philippine Navy and taken to one hospital from which he was transferred to another.
- 3 October accident – 3 October 2020 Fox4 (Cape Coral, Florida) “Woman hit by boat propeller rushed to the hospital” reports a 26 year old woman was on a boat with 10 other people near Estero Bar in Fort Meyers Beach on Saturday 3 October. The boat was on plane, the lady was standing near the bow, fell overboard, and was stuck by the boat’s propeller. She was taken to a hospital.
- late September / early October accident in Fiji – 8 December 2020 The Sun (UK publication covering Fiji accident) “FACE OFF Sailor has face sliced off by boat propeller after stormy seas threw him off deck in horror accident” reports Danny Round, 32 year-old seaman from New Zealand, left his ship to explore Fiji on a 1984 sailboat and a 20 horsepower outboard motor powered dinghy in late September or early October. While on the dinghy, he was knocked overboard by a wave, “his hand slipping off the kill cord around his wrist”. The propeller went up his body and struck his face. He sustained cuts to his feet, legs, waist, chest, hands, chin, and forehead. A nearby sailor spotted his dinghy in the Circle of Death and rescued him. A nearby medical doctor tended to his wounds til he could be life flighted to a hospital on Fiji. A big thanks to The Sun for their great follow article and photos.
- D 17 September accident in UK – 17 September 2020 The Sun (UK) “Holiday Tragedy: Woman died during Norfolk Broads staycation when pal accidentally reversed hire boat over her after she fell in” reports a woman fell from a rented 42 foot boat in the UK near Norfolk Broads and became entrapped on the propeller. It took officials 90 minutes to extract her body. The boat looks like a narrowboat for traveling canals in the photos. The operator reversed the boat not knowing the lady in her thirties had fallen in. The boat was named the Diamond Emblem and was rented from the Ferry Marina branch location in Norfolk Broads, they are headquartered in Horning. Thanks to The Sun for their quick and excellent coverage of this accident.
- D 16 September accident – 16 September 2020 Post Star (Glens Falls, New York} “Albany man drowns in Fish Creek” reports Wieslaw Prelewicz, 78 year old male, fell from a boat on Fish Creek. His clothing became entrapped in the propeller. Two people on the boat were unable to free him. The news report headline listed his death as a drowning.
- D 15 September accident in the UK – 24 September 2020 BBC (UK) “River Bure swimmer caught boat propeller and bled to death” reports from an inquest that Simon Houlder was cut in the leg by a boat propeller on 15 September 2020 and bled to death from his wounds. The accident happened on the River Bure in Norfolk. He was life flighted from the scene and died from his injuries at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge..
- August – September accident in UK – 10 September 2020 Daily Star (UK) “Grandad left with ‘mangled insides’ after shocking boat propeller accident” reports James Christie and his wife Claire were on an anniversary trip to the Grand Union Canal in northern Northamptonshire. James fell from the canal boat and was mangled by its propeller blades. James was captaining the vessel when it quickly became caught on debris. He was thrown over the side onto the canal boat’s propeller. The boat belonged to a friend. James Christie “sustained injuries to the back of his body, with his right buttock, most of his left buttock and several muscles being severely ‘mangled’, exposing his insides.” Claire pushed some of his organs back inside his body. James has since had 6 surgeries with 3 more planned.
- 5 September accident – 7 September 2020 KSIS (Sedalia, Missouri) “Park Hills Woman Injured by Boat Propeller” reports Emma M. Means of Park Hills, Missouri, and others were boarding a 26 foot 1998 Sea Ray boat from the stern about 3:05pm Saturday 5 September on Lake of the Ozarks. The boat operator told investigators the boat was running but was not in gear at that time. Means was seriously injured by the boat propeller and taken to Lake Regional Hospital in Osage Beach. The accident happened at the 4 mile marker on Galize Arm.
- 5 September news coverage of Australia accident – Queensland Times “Man Injured by Boat Propeller” reports a man was injured by a boat propeller at a beach south east of Bundaberg Australia. He was life flighted to a hospital.
- 5 September accident – 5 September Fox 40 (Sacramento California) “Man sent to trauma hospital after boat propeller injury on Sacramento River” reports a man was struck by a boat propeller in the Sacramento River at a bend in the river near Garden Highway and Power Line Road on Saturday 5 September near Sacramento California. He was taken to a trauma hospital.
- 3 September accident – 9 September 2020 Western Massachusetts News “Agawam woman recovering after boating accident” reports Alli Stuetzel a young woman from Agawam, Massachusetts was on Congamond Lake in Massachusetts on Thursday 3 September. She fell from a boat and was struck by the propeller. She lost a leg up to her shin.
- D 31 August accident in Greece – 31 August Ekathimerini (Greece) reports a British woman was swimming off Aviaki beach on Ionian Island of Corfu (a large island off Greece). The woman thought to be on holiday (vacation) was struck and killed by a speedboat propeller. Update – the deceased lady was later identified by The Sun as Claire Glatman, age 60.
- 30 August accident – 30 August 2020 NBC2 (Florida) “Woman hit by boat propeller near Cayo Costa State Park” reports a 25 year old woman was on a 27 foot boat near the bayside of Cayo Coast State Park in Florida about 4 pm Sunday 30 August. She jumped into the water and was struck by the propeller per Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FW). She had injuries to her left hand, right leg, and right foot. The woman was taken to Health Medical Center.
- D 24 August accident – 25 August 2020 Click on Detroit (Michigan) “White Lake boating death: Police say 16-year-old girl was struck by boat’s propeller in water” reports Nicole Shoup, 16, was on a boat on Mandon Lake in white Lake Township, Michigan with her boyfriend on Monday 24 August. Somehow she ended up being struck by the propeller. She was rushed to a hospital and died. Her death was ruled a “Freak Accident”. On Wednesday 26 August Oakland Press identified the boat as a pontoon boat. A 26 August Fox 2 Detroit video focuses on a pontoon boat giving viewers the idea it may be the pontoon boat involved in the accident. The vessel they focus on is a Bennington SX20 powered by a Yamaha outboard motor.
- 23 August accident – 24 August 2020 WATE (Tennessee) “2 women seriously injured after being struck by boat propeller on Douglas Lake” reports Halie Padgett, 20, and Kaley Gose, 22, Were getting on a tube preparing to be towed by a rental boat in Douglas Lake near the Big Island on Sunday afternoon 23 August. Before they got underway, both women were struck by the boat propeller, and transported to UT Medical Center in Knoxville, Tennessee.
- 22 August accident in Spain – 24 August 2020 Olive Press (Spain) “Freak Accident Sees Unmanned Motorboat Hit Woman in Water’s of Spain’s Costa Blanca” reports a 33 year old woman was with friends on a boat in El Morro Blanc Cove off El Campello on Saturday 22 August. A large wave hit the boat and they were ejected. The boat went into the Circle of Death, the lady was struck in the thigh, knee, and ankle by the propeller. Two bystanders on PWCs helped those in the water to shore. The boat stopped circling as a crew reached it. It was towed to shore. The lady was taken to Saint Joan d’Alacant Hospital.
- 22 August accident in Canada – 23 August 2020 Montreal Gazette (Canada) “Girl, 10, suffers leg injuries after getting caught in boat’s propeller while tubing” reports a ten year old girl was struck in the legs by a boat propeller on Grand lac Sec. Initial reports are a bit confusing as to exactly how the tubing related accident occurred.
- 19 August accident in Greece – 31 August 2020 Daily Mirror (UK publication) “Brit woman killed by boat propeller while on Greece holiday” reports on a 31 August accident, then reviews some recent boating accidents involving Brits including a 19 August 2020 accident in which a 53 year old woman on holiday was struck by a boat propeller off the Greek island of Lefkada and was rushed to the hospital.
- D 16 August accident in Cyprus – 16 August 2020 In-Cyprus (Cyprus) “Man, 40, dies after being hit by propeller while fishing-UPDATED” reports Stelios (Steven) Archontous, 40, was struck by the propeller of a speed boat in Oroklini, Larnaca district of Cyprus. He died en route to a Larnaca General Hospital.
- 16 August accident – 16 August 2020 KSBY (California’s Central Coast) “Man suffers severe leg injury following boating accident at Lake Nacimiento” reports a man lost a leg to a boat propeller on Sunday 16 August on Lake Nacimiento near the Heritage Ranch boat ramp. He was life flighted to an area hospital.
- D 10 August accident – 11 August 2020 KOLO (ABC Reno Nevada) “Man killed after getting hit by boat propeller in South Lake Tahoe” reports David Castorena, 28, was trying to get into an inflatable tube tied to a boat Monday 10 August on Lake Tahoe when he was struck by the propeller. He suffered a major injury to his leg, was pulled from the water, and pronounced dead at a local marina.
- Two separate accidents – 9 August accident – 10 August 2020 MyMotherLode from San Andreas California “Sheriff’s Officials Share Details Of New Hogan Lake Boating Mishaps” reports a towed wakeboarder fell on New Hogan Lake about 4 pm Sunday 9 August. As that person fell, another person jumped in from the bow. The boat operator was not aware the other person jumped in. The second person was struck by the propeller receiving major shoulder and leg injuries. Two teenagers applied life saving efforts to the injured party. Injured party was taken to Fiddleneck Boat Ramp then on to a valley hospital. The teenagers were credited with saving the person’s life.
While officers were working the accident above, they were called to an accident near the lake’s inlet known as ‘The Cliffs”. A boat had been idling with swimmers in the water A swimmer suffered minor injury from the boat propeller and was taken to a valley hospital.
- 4 August accident – 5 August 2020 RivieraraRadio (French Riviera in France) “French and Riviera News Wednesday 5th August 2020” reports a boating accident on the Cannes in which a man was struck by a boat propeller Tuesday afternoon 4 August. He was taken to a hospital in Nice with serious injuries to his leg.
- 4 August – 4 August 2020 Tahoe Daily Tribune (Nevada) “Woman airlifted to hospital after leg gets caught in boat propeller” reports A woman on the north shore of Lake Tahoe was struck by a boat propeller about 12:30pm Tuesday afternoon 4 August near Chimney Beach. She was life flighted to Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno Nevada.
- 2 August accident – 2 August 2020 KUTV (Utah) “Man’s leg ‘entangled’ in boat propeller at Utah Lake” reports a 35 year old male on Utah lake became entrapped in a boat propeller on Sunday afternoon 2 August. Utah County Search and Rescue were able to extract his leg from the propeller. KSL reports life flight was en route to pick him up at Lindon Marina.
- 1 August accident – 2 August 2020 1057News (Utah) reports a man got in the water to get a boat to an island in Roane County Tennessee on Saturday 1 August. He was struck by the propeller and life flighted to UT Medical Center.
- D 29 July accident – 30 July TCPalm (Florida) “Man taken to Fort Pierce hospital with serious injuries after hit by boat propeller in Jensen Beach” reports Christopher Popo, 40 from West Palm Beach, and two others were on a 1975 AMF Robalo boat were northbound on the Intracoastal Waterway near Jensen Beach on Wednesday 29 July. The boat turned, Popo and one other individual were ejected. Christopher Popo was struck by the propeller. He was taken to Lawnwood Hospital. TCPalm later reported Christopher Popo died from his injuries on August 9th.
- 26 July accident – 27 July 2020 San Diego Union Tribune (California) reports a lady in her 40s took four broken ribs and an air pocket in her lungs when she was struck by a rental boat after she fell from a tube in Mission Bay. She attributes her life jacket as saving her life as it blunted the impact of the boat propeller.
- 19 July accident in South Africa – 22 July 2020 South Coast Sun (South Africa) “Man injured by boat at Amanzimtoti beach” reports a male member of a sardine netting crew was at Winklespruit Beach on Sunday 19 July. He was struck in the back by a boat propeller and taken to Prince Mshiyeni Hospital.
- D 18 July accident – 20 Jul 2020 Northwest Florida Daily News “FWC: Victim of Saturday’s fatal boating accident fell off PWC, struck by pontoon boat” reports Marie Yann Cedrick Kouame, 24 year old male from Minnesota, was a passenger on a PWC passing a 24 foot pontoon boat near Brooks Bridge about 5 pm July 18th. He was struck by the propeller of the pontoon boat and pronounced dead at the scene.
- 18 July accident – 18 July 2020 NBC2 (Florida) “Woman seriously injured after boating accident on Sanibel” reported a woman was struck by the propeller of a 21 foot boat on 18 July on Sanibel, an island city. She was life flighted to Lee Memorial Hospital. She had been in the water at the back of the boat when the engine was started by someone unaware she was back there. Later reports identify the lady as Sue Brady, the boat as a Hurricane rented from Boat House Rentals, and the outboard motor as a Suzuki.
- 18 July accident – 19 July 2020 Patch Clearwater Florida “Coast Guard Rescues Man Injured By Boat Propeller In Sand Key” reports a 35 year old male crew member on the Island Hopper, had a propeller injury to his leg near One Tree Island near Sand Key Florida on Saturday 18 July. He was taken to USCG Station Sand Key by the Coast Guard, then taken to Bayfront Health in St. Petersburg.
- D 17 July accident – 18 July 2020 Miami Herald (Florida) “Naples man dies in boating accident off the Florida Keys on Friday night” reports Sean Scott Hurley, 25, and four others were on a 35 foot Contender open fishing boat on Friday night 17 July traveling from Naples to Islamorada Florida. About 9:30pm they were on plane about 5 miles north of Long Key. The boat took a sharp turn in rough seas during a thunderstorm. The boat operator lost control, 3 of them including Hurley were ejected. Hurley was killed by the boat propeller.
- 11 July accident – 13 July KPQ (State of Washington) “Boy in Stable Condition After Boat Collision, Propeller Injury” reports a 12 year old boy on a PWC collided with a 1980 AGC Runabout ski boat on the Columbia River in Washington on Saturday 11 July. The boy went under the boat, was struck by the propeller, and life flighted to Confluence Health in Wenatchee Washington, then taken on to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. Another 12 year old boy was also on the PWC. The second boy was taken to a local hospital for treatment for minor injuries.
- 12 July trolling motor propeller accident – “Man drowns after boating accident at Banner Marsh in Fulton County” reports two men in their 60s were fishing at Banner Marsh State Fish and Wildlife Area in Illinois on Sunday morning 12 July. one man fell overboard, Michael Polson (same last name as me) moved the boat toward the man that fell in and extended a pole to him. The man went under. Mr. Polson dove in and grabbed the other man who was not responding. Polson pulled him to the front of the boat where he was able to reach the trolling motor and use it to get them to shore. During that process Polson’s shirt was entrapped in the trolling motor propeller and he had to cut himself free. The other man was deceased when authorities arrived on the scene.
- 7 July accident- 7 July 2020 GoErie (Pennsylvania) “Girl injured in boat-tubing accident on Lake Erie near peninsula’s Beach 10” reports a 10 year old girl was on a towed tube near Presque Isle State Park about 7pm July 7th in Pennsylvania. The tow rope became caught in the propeller and pulled her into the propeller. She was taken to a hospital.
- 6 July accident – 7 July 2020 Chesapeake Bay Magazine (Maryland accident) “Child Hit by Boat Propeller, Suffers Serious Injuries” reports three juveniles were in a 12 foot dinghy on Sue Creek, a creek off of Middle River, on Monday 6 July. “The dinghy hit a wave, and the juveniles were tossed out of the boat. The boat somehow ran over one of the juveniles, and the boat’s propeller struck him.” The boy was taken to Shock Trauma for treatment.
- 4 July accident – 6 July 2020 The Chetek Alert (Wisconsin) “Fatal crash, injured boater make for busy Fourth of July weekend” reports first responder activities over the weekend including Tera Busker, age 41 of Busker Wisconsin, was on a pontoon boat on Lake Pokegama Lake about 4pm July 4th. News reports seem to indicate she was bow riding the pontoon boat, fell off, and was struck by the boat’s propeller. She was life flighted to a hospital in Eau Claire.
- 4 July accident – 6 July 2020 Cumberland (Maryland) Times-News “One hurt, one charged following lake boating accident” reports from McHenry Maryland. About 5:30 pm July 4th, a boat on Deep Creek Lake docked for fuel. The passengers jumped off the rear of the boat to swim. Shortly later the boat operator put the boat in reverse, failing to see if everyone was onboard. A passenger was struck in the leg by the boat’s propeller. He was taken to a medical center.
- 4 July accident – 4 July 2020 Ipswitch (Massachusetts) Local News “Serious injury in July 4 Ipswich boat accident” reports 4 men were on a 19 foot aluminum center console boat powered by a Mercury outboard motor in the area of Third Creek Mooring Field on July 4th. The boat took a turn, all 4 men were ejected. The boat went into the Circle of Death, one passenger, a 19 year old male from Ipswitch, was ran over by the boat and suffered life threatening propeller injuries to his lower back. As the boat circled it ran up onto the back deck of a houseboat owned by the victim’s family. The police department boat was on site within 2 minutes of the call for assistance. The injured man was taken to the Ipswitch Bay Yacht Club where he was life flighted to a Boston hospital. The other 3 men were met by an ambulance.
- 3 July accident – 4 July 2020 GoSkagit (State of Washington) “Man injured in Friday boating accident” reports a 19 year old male fell from the bow of a boat (maybe pontoon?) Friday afternoon July 3rd on Lake Cavanaugh. He “was sucked into the boat’s propeller.” The injured man was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.
- 3 July accident in Australia – 4 July 2020 NoosaNews “Man struck in the face by boat propeller at Seaforth” reports a man fell from a boat and was struck in the face by the propeller at Seaforth on 3 July.
- D possible 27 June accident in Canada – 27 June Global News- Canada “1 missing, 2 injured following boating incident on Rice Lake south of Peterborough” reports on a boat accident in Rice Lake about 20 kilometers south of Petersborough, Ontario Canada on the morning of Saturday June 17th about 7:15 am. Three people from the greater Toronto area (GTA) were somehow ejected from a fishing boat. One man was struck by the propeller and taken to a hospital, a second man made it to shore and was later taken to a hospital, a search is being conducted for the third man. UPDATE- the body of the third man, Tien Dat Tran, 41, was recovered Sunday afternoon 28 June. Cause of the accident is under investigation.
- 23 June accident? – 23 June WesternMassNews (Massachusetts) “Search for swimmer in CT River to continue” reports a pontoon boat may have struck a swimmer in the Connecticut River about 3:30pm Tuesday 23 June. Authorities responded but had yet to confirm someone was struck.
- 23 June accident – 23 June 2020 Boston25News (Massachusetts) “DA: Person ‘apparently drowned’ in Mashpee pond after boating accident” reports a man jumped from a boat on Wakeby Pond, a large body of water in Mashpee Massachusetts, on Tuesday 23 June. He was struggling in the water, another man jumped in to help him, the second man was struck by the propeller of the boat which looks like an inboard towboat in the video coverage. The second man was life flighted to medical care. The body of the first man was recovered a few hours later.
- 19 June accident – 21 June 2020 Island Free Press (North Carolina) “Man injured after falling off of boat in Pamlico Sound; brother charged with negligent operation of a motorboat” reports Erik Rasmus, of Virginia, was on the bow of his brothers boat in Pamlico Sound off Hatteras Island, North Carolina on Friday 19 June. He was knocked overboard and struck by the propeller. The injured man was life flighted to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital with lacerations to his legs.
- D 16 June accident – 17 June 2020 WJHG (Panama City, Florida) “Fatal boating accident in Panama City” reports a boat operator was ejected near Watson Bayou in Panama City, Florida on Tuesday evening 16 June. Officials believe he was struck by the propeller. He died from his injuries and has not yet been identified. Panama City Police and Florida Fish and Wildlife officials responded to the scene.
- 16 June accident – 16 June 2020 CapeCod (Massachusetts) “Man injured by boat propeller in Dennis” reports a man was struck inn the leg by a boat propeller off Dennis, Massachusetts on Tuesday evening 16 June. He was taken to Sesuit Harbor and on to Cap Cod Hospital about 8:30pm.
- D 13 June accident – 14 June 2020 Duncan Banner (Oklahoma) “OHP responds to fatality at Waurika Lake” reports a 7 year old girl fell from the swim deck of a 2007 Master Craft near the Kiowa 2 boat ramp in Jefferson County Oklahoma on Waurika Lake about 5.:15 pm Saturday 13 June. There were 9 on board counting the young girl. She was fatally struck by the propeller. Reports say they were going southbound at idle speed. The young girl has since been identified as Kyndi Beth Harkins of Comanche Oklahoma. PropellerSafety comment – seems odd for a 7 year old child to fall from the swim deck and be struck by the propeller of an inboard boat going forward.
- 13 June accident – 15 June 2020 Lake Expo (Lake of Ozarks in Missouri) “Boaters, Heroes: They Jumped To Save Two Men After A Boat Crash On Lake Of The Ozarks” reports Justin Lakso, family, and friends were out in a Sea Ray new Coffman Beach on Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri on Saturday 13 June 2020. The witnessed a PWC run into an Envision boat. Lakso and others on board quickly sprang to the rescue of Jack Koerner and Cole Coffin who had been on the PWC. They were both floating face down with propeller strike wounds. Coffin was life flighted to University Hospital. The swim deck on the Sea Ray was useful and they tried to move him as little as possible. Koerner was taken by ambulance. Thanks to Mr. Lakso, his family, and friends for being great Good Samaritans, and to Lake Expo for the great article.
- 8 June accident – 8 June 2020 WMDT (Maryland) “Two injured following boat accident in Ocean City” reports two women were getting into a boat from the water in Ocean City, Maryland near Macky’s Mayside Bar and Grill on Monday afternoon 8 June. The boat operator started the propeller, one woman was cut by the propeller on her upper thigh and life flighted to medical care, the other woman cut her foot and was taken to a nearby hospital. Later info says one of the women was life flighted to R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.
- 6 June accident – 6 June 2020 Mlive (Michigan) Woman thrown from boat in Holland, medical helicopter called to scene reports a 34 year old woman from Holland Michigan was among passengers thrown from a 12 foot inflatable boat on Lake Macatawa about 2am Saturday morning June 6th. The driver lost control, the boat turned hard, and some passengers were ejected. The woman was struck in the leg by the boat propeller and life flighted to Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital.
- 31 May accident – 2 June 2020 Union-Recorder (Milledgeville Georgia) “Glennville girl critically injured in boating accident” reports Tylee Miles, an 11 year old girl from Glennville Georgia, was riding a tube with others behind a pontoon boat on Lake Sinclair on Sunday 31 May. The tubers were struck by another boat. “She sustained multiple lacerations and broken bones down her right leg where she apparently went under the boat and was struck by the propeller.” She was life flighted to a hospital in Macon Georgia, then taken on to a hospital in Atlanta. A Georgia DNR officer said she was lucky to be alive. The vessel that hit her was also a pontoon boat.
- Late May (Body struck after death) – 1 June 2020 News12 (New York) “Suffolk homicide detectives say body found off of Fire Island” reports partial remains of a male body were found off Fire Island last week. Detectives believe he was already dead before being struck by a boat propeller. More body parts were found Sunday May 31.
- 24 May accident- 28 May 2020 NewsObserver (Raleigh, North Carolina) “‘I’m military, I’m real calm.’ Fort Bragg soldiers aid man hit by boat on Jordan Lake” reports Matt (unknown last name) fell from a pontoon boat on Jordan Lake, the woman driving the pontoon boat was accused of running over him, some nearby military folks picked him up and called 911. The recording said, “he got chopped up by a propeller. … He’s going to bleed out.” The injured man was cut from his thigh to his shin.
- 21 May accident – 21 May 2020 SanAngeloLive (Texas) “SAPD: Two Injured by Propeller at Lake Nasworthy Boat Ramp” reports two people were injured by a boat propeller at a boat ramp on Lake Nasworthy on Beaty Rd off of Knickerbocker Rd. San Angelo Police Department (SAPD) reported “two people were cut on their lower extremities”. MyFoxZone reports they were tubing, the boat that was towing them took a sharp turn, completed a 360 and ran over them. Three people were on the tube. The two injured were teenagers.
- 16 May accident – 16 May 2020 Jacksonville.com (Florida) “Jacksonville firefighters rescue man with leg trapped in boat propeller” reports Jacksonville Florida firefighters rescued a man on Saturday 16 May with his leg entrapped in a boat propeller on Trout River on the city’s northside. “The man managed to keep his head above the surface as he tread water while trying to free himself.” JFRD’s technical rescue team went underwater, removed the propeller, and freed the man’s leg.
- 16 May accident – 16 May 2020 WJHG (Florida) “Coast Guard and local agency rescues two injured girls” reports the Coast Guard responded to a 4:40pm call for help 16 May near Panama City, Florida. The mother of two girls, both struck by a boat propeller placed the call. “One girl suffered a foot laceration and the other a knee laceration.” The Coast Guard stabilized the girls, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) transported them to Panama City Marina where they were met by EMS.
- D 14 May accident in Virgin Islands – 16 May Virgin Islands Daily News (Virgin Islands) “Police Briefs” reports the body of Kenneth Steiner III, age 67, was found floating in Altona Lagoon Thursday evening 14 May. Police report, “The body suffered severe injuries and appears to have been hit by a boat’s propeller.”
- 4 May accident – 24 June 2020 franklin Sun (Louisiana) “Local youth continues to improve after accident” reports Carter Robertson, 8, was laying stomach down on the boat’s front deck with two other children 4 May on a Boeuf River fishing trip. About 6pm two adults were looking a the bank when they noticed Carter was no longer onboard. They report the boat did not hit anything, but he fell out of the boat, the boat ran over him, his head and hand were struck by the propeller. Carter was rushed to Franklin Medical Center, he was stabilized and life flighted to Ochsner LSU Health in Shreveport- St May Medical. Carter is now (late June 2020) in therapy at Children’s Hospital in New Orleans. His current estimated release date is August 6th.
- 3 May accident – 3 May 2020 CBS Local (Sacramento, California) “2 Children Suffer Serious Leg Injuries In Boating Accident In Sacramento” reports on Sunday 3 May two children “tubing in the river suffered significant leg injuries caused by a boat propeller.” They were near the 4000 block of Garden Highway in Sacramento. They were taken to a trauma center.
- D 25 April accident in Bahamas – 27 April 2020 The Tribune (Bahamas) “Boatman Killed In Landing Accident” reports Antonio “Rat” Rolle was bringing his 15 foot Boston Whaler back to the boat ramp near Exuma Point in the Bahamas on Saturday 25 April. He was ejected from the boat, the boat turned around in the Circle of Death, ran over him, he was struck in the head by the boat propeller, and it took them about ten minutes to find his body. When someone pulled his body up to the surface he was unresponsive and later pronounced dead.
- 19 April accident – 23 April 2020 Citrus Chronicle (Florida) “Inverness gives award to deputy after saving injured boy” reports Citrus Florida County Deputy Heath Shaffer rescued a 11 year old boy struck by a boat propeller on 19 April. The boy was struck in the thigh, bleeding badly, and those with him were unable to get him back into the vessel. Deputy Shaffer got him on board, stopped the bleeding, and the boy was life flighted to a hospital.
- D 29 March accident in Florida – 31 March 2020 Metro (UK paper writing about U.S. accident) “Husband saw wife drown after she got trapped under boat during diving trip” reports Mollie Ghiz-Flynn, 37, was on a dive boat trip of Palm Beach Florida with her husband Sean Flynn and others on Sunday 29 March. The dive boat, the 48 foot Southern Comfort, return to pick them up along with other divers, both Mollie and Sean were sucked under the vessel. She became entrapped on the propeller and drowned. There is mention that diving expeditions at that time may have been banned due to the corona virus. A big thanks to Metro for covering this accident while our U.S. media still only provides low key coverage of propeller accidents.
- D 5 March accident – 6 March Wink News (Florida) “Ohio man arrested for leaving scene of deadly boat crash near Vanderbilt Beach” reports from Naples Beach that Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission arrested a male boat operator that left the scene of the fatal propeller strike of a swimmer, 57 year old Onofrio Sozio, near the Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park, north of Vanderbilt Beach in North Naples Floria on 5 March. Witnesses said the hit and run boat operator threw a floatation device to the man that was struck, then drove away. Human remains were later found attached to the lower end of one of the motors on the hit and run boat.
- D 4 March accident – 5 March 2020 Phuket News (Thailand) “Rawai longtail boat accident claims driver’s life” reports a 61-year-old boat operator was struck and killed by the propeller of his longtail boat March coming ashore at Nai Harn Beach in Rawai Thailand on 4 March.
- (2 accidents) 20 February accident in Australia – 29 February 2020 Perth Now (Australia) “Boat Propeller leaves teen with deep cuts during Rottnest Island mishap” reports there were two separate boat propeller accidents. In one a woman in her 50’s was struck in the face, arm, and leg in Mundurah on 29 February. She was taken to Royal Perth Hospital. In the other one an 18 year old man from Rottnest Island suffered lacerations to his left leg by boat propeller on February 28th. He was life flighted to Fiona Stanley Hospital in Jandakot.
- 15 February accident in South Africa – 17 February 2020 Kormorant (Zaire) “Update: Girl (11) stable after Hartbeespoort boat accident” reports an 11 year old girl, Clarissa van Staden, from Hartbeespoort was in a boat with her family and a friend at the Hartbeespoort Dam in South Africa on Saturday 15 February 2020. The boat hit a submerged tree stump, everybody except the young girl’s friend was ejected, the young girl’s arm was severed by the propeller. She was life flighted to Johannesburg.
- 9 February COMMERCIAL VESSEL accident – 27 February 2020 Oregon Live “Body of missing fisherman recovered in waters off Newport” reports Norman Grant was a crew member of the fishing boat F/V Prolifik. He was last seen February 9th. Wednesday another fishing vessel struck something near where the Prolofik had been moored.His body was found and some of his clothing was entangled in the prop of this second vessel.
- 25 January COMMERCIAL VESSEL accident in Australia – 15 July 2020 South Coast Register “Sussex man Derrick Allred, 61, pleads not guilty to negligently operating a commercial vessel” reports a man using the boat, PARTYN2, a commercial vessel, on the St. Georges Basin the afternoon of 25 July 2020 was attempting to retrieve a person from the water. The person was struck by the propeller.
- 11 January accident in New Zealand – 11 January 2020 New Zealand Herald (New Zealand) “Child struck by boat propeller at Pakatoa Island, Auckland” reports a male child was struck by a boat propeller near Pakotoa Island in the Hauraki Gulf. He was life flighted to Starship Children’s Hospital.
- 3 January accident in Australia – 3 January 2020 Sydney Morning Herald (Australia) “Man hit by boat propeller, suffers serious injuries” reports a male in his 30’s was struck by a boat propeller before 10am off Port Alma on the central Queensland coast. The man was taken to Rockhampton Hospital.
************** Labor Day Weekend starts Friday 4 September 2020 *********
************ Monday 6 July 2020 Fourth of July Weekend ends ***************
4 July accident – 4 August 2020 KARE11 (Minneapolis Minnesota) “Boater seriously hurt in pontoon accident wants others to learn from her mistake” reports Tera Busker fell from the bow of pontoon boat on 4 July 2020. Her feet caught the large wake of another boat in a wake free zone, she went over with her 3 year old niece. Her niece was fine, Tera was severely struck by the pontoon boat’s propeller and entrapped on the propeller by her swim suit. She was life flighted to a Eau Claire hospital
************ Friday 3 July 2020 Fourth of July Weekend begins ***************
************ Monday 25 May 2020 Memorial Day Weekend ends ****************
************ Friday 23 May 2020 Memorial Day Weekend begins ***************
Previous Year – 2019 Boat Propeller Accidents