NBC Channel 4, Washington D.C., aired a series of stories on boat design defects on 16 August 2017.The series focuses on:
- Two families: (1) family of Ryan Batchelder, 7 year old boy killed by a boat propeller in Georgia in 2014, and (2) family of Niki Bell, struck by a boat propeller in California in 2006 at age 22.
- The two accidents, both individuals were washed overboard
- The two boat builders involved (Malibu and MasterCraft)
- The lack of Federal Regulation of the boating industry
- Court documents and comments by experts
NBC4 chose to release the story in a number of segments throughout the day with the tagline, “Small Craft Advisory” instead of as a free standing documentary.
They did a nice job of interviewing people and supplying several videos to support their findings.
While it likely made a lot of sense if you watched their various news programs dispersed throughout the day, it is challenging to try to recreate that experience from their website, Facebook page, or app.
Therefore we organized links to the various segments below. Read More→