Propeller Guard Design: An Investigation Using CFD. Oliver Lee. University of Sydney (Australia). November 2011.We are thrilled to welcome this Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) analysis of propeller guards into the library of academic research studies on propeller guards by college students around the world. We also proud to have been a small part of it as it developed. A huge thanks to Oliver Lee for his efforts, to Dr. Steve Armfield his supervisor, to Julian Todd (an Australian propeller safety advocate who assisted with the project), and to the University of Sydney for all their support.
We first heard from Oliver Lee back in late March 2011 as he was getting underway on his Senior Thesis and were able to point him to some information and other studies he found helpful.
Since then he took on a broad swath of propeller guard topics in addition to performing the CFD analysis:
- Surveyed the types of propeller guards and other propeller safety devices available
- Investigated the history of propeller guards and the debate surrounding their use
- Investigated the accident frequency of propeller guards
- Investigated the relative costs of propeller guard designs
- Investigated the Australian Safety Propeller and how it fits within this arena
- Developed a propeller guard rating system based on the protection provided
- Developed the model and the equations for the CFD analysis
You can download the full pdf document from the link below the thesis. Read More→