About 12 people took a 4 night houseboat rental Lake Shasta (California) in the summer of 2015. The 56 foot 2001 Waterway Houseboat (Canadian manufacturer) Mirage was powered by a Volvo Penta stern drive.
Note – this is Part 1 of this post, Part 2 is our commentary on events on this page.
The houseboat was rented from Silverthorn Resort.
The very basics of the event on the afternoon of 30 May 2015 were:
- The rental houseboat was being operated from the upper deck
- A lady’s hat blew off
- Olga Cioban was on top the roof above the second desk and became aware the other lady’s hat blew off
- Olga Cioban went down the ladder to the lower deck and jumped in from the swim platform to retrieve the hat
- Meanwhile, apparently unaware someone had jumped in at the stern, the boat operator shifted the boat to reverse from the upper deck OR the boat was already moving slowly in reverse.
- Olga Cioban reported being pulled into the propeller
- Olga Cioban received severe cuts to her feet and legs
- Olga Cioban was taken by ambulance to Mercy Hospital in Redding, California
Since the accident, Olga Cioban married the person operating the boat at that time, Mr. Leonity, and is now referred to in some court documents as Olga Cioban-Leontiy. Read More →