Media coverage of 2021 recreational boat propeller accidents.
If you are aware of coverage of a 2021 propeller accident that is not reported here, please contact us.
Fatal accidents are coded immediately in front of the reporting data as:
D indicates a U.S. fatality
D indicates a fatality outside the U.S.
- 6 April accident in Australia – 6 April 2021 7 News (Australia) “Boy suffers critical lower body injuries in boat propeller accident off Townsville” reports an eight year old boy was struck by a boat propeller off Magnetic Island and life flighted to Townsville Hospital in Australia with leg and pelvis injuries on 6 April. Other news inlets reported it as a tubing accident
- 26 March accident – 14 April 2021 St. Louis Post Dispatch “Vacationing STL doctor helps save life in San Diego boating accident” reports Dr. Jeffrey Davis of St. Louis, Missouri and his family were on a whale watching tour in San Diego, California 26 March 2021. A nearby vessel in distress was spotted, a person in the water had a leg nearly amputated at the knee. Dr. Davis jumped aboard, rendered medical care, helped stabilize things for about 5 minutes, then remained on board during the 15 minute trip to shore.
- D 20 March accident in Trinidad Tabago – 22 March 2021 Newsday (Tabago) “Cedros boy, 14, in boat accident feared dead” reports Matthew Sookoo, 14 year old boy from Cedros fell overboard about 3:45 pm Saturday Match 20th. He went out with some men trying out a new 29 foot boat on Cedros Bay after his father told him not to unless he was with him. “It seemed the engine propeller hit him and threw him overboard”. Two other men were injured when the captain lost control of the vessel. Officials were still searching for the boy’s body on Sunday.
- 7 March accident in Australia – 7 March News.au (Australia) “Lifejacket saves boy, 5, after boating accident in Sydney’s Northern Beaches” reports a 5 year old boy wearing a life jacket fell into the water on Sydney’s Northern Beaches near Prince Alfred Parade in Newport. He was struck in the head by a boat propeller. First responders said they boy’s wearing of “a lifejacket appears to have made a difference between lacerations and something more serious.”
- 2 March accident in Mexico – 3 March 2021 Riviera Maya News (Mexico) “Cozumel tourist rushed to hospital after being hit in the head by propeller of passing boat” reports Jorge G.A., age 60 from the State of Mexico, was a tourist, snorkeling Tuesday afternoon 2 March off the southern part of Cozumel. The boat La Jarocha II passed by and its propeller struck him in the face. He was taken to the Harbormaster’s Office, then by ambulance to a hospital.
- D 6 February accident – 6 February 2021 Star Advertiser (Hawaii) “Man dies after boat propeller injury at Koko Marina” reports a 56 yer old male died by boat propeller strike the evening of 6 February. The man was treated at Koko Marina in Hawaii Kai but may have been struck somewhere else.
- 24 January accident in Greece – 25 January 2021 Greek City Times (Greece) “Former Greek socialist minister Sifis Valirakis found dead at sea” reports Sifis Valirakis, 77, was found dead in the water off the coast of Eretria, Euboea (a Greek island) on Sunday 24 January. His small boat was found a mile from his body, with the engine still running. Officials suspect he fell overboard and was struck by the propeller, or his boat was struck by another boat, he fell overboard, and was struck by another boat.
- D 23 January accident in Mexico – 25 January 2020 Riviera Maya News (Mexico) “Punta Allen tour guide dies in boat accident” reports Wilberto Xec Pantoja, 29 from Punta Allen (south east of Veracruz), was fishing on 23 January, fell from his boat, and was fatally struck by the propeller. He worked as a tour excursion guide in Sian Ka’an Reserve.
- 13 January accident in South Africa – 14 January Dispatch Live (South Africa) “WATCH | NSRI rescues teens from runaway boat on Nahoon River” reports two teenagers were ejected from a boat on the Nahoon River. The boat went into the Circle of Death. One teen was struck by the circling boat’s propeller.
- 4 January accident in Australia NOT A Prop Strike – 4 January The West Australian “Teenage girl flung from out of control dinghy at Longreach Bay on Rottnest Island” reports a teenage girl was thrown from a out of control dinghy in the Circle of Death at Rottnest Island the morning of January 4th. The boat was described as an “out of control animal”. The young girl was rescued BEFORE she was struck by the propeller. NSRI (Sea Rescue South Africa) roped the 15 horsepower outboard motor to stop the runaway boat.
Previous Year – 2019 Boat Propeller Accidents20