Media coverage of 2017 recreational boat propeller accidents.
If you are aware of coverage of a 2017 propeller accident that is not reported here, please contact us.
Fatal accidents are coded immediately in front of the reporting data as:
D indicates a U.S. fatality
D indicates a fatality outside the U.S.
- 30 March accident – CBS12 Boca Raton Florida “Coast Guard Rescues Diver Struck by Boat Propeller” reports a diver on the diving charter boat, Lady Go Diver, “was struck by a moving propeller while in the water.” About 3pm 30 March a nearby
rescue helicopter was diverted to about half a mile off shore of northeast Boca Raton. The male diver was life flighted to Delray Medical Center.
- 17 March accident in the Solomon Islands – Solomon Star News “Two Killed in Boating Tragedy” Two Killed in Boating Tragedy”reports a 40 horsepower canoe and a 60 horsepower canoe collided in the dark Friday night 17 March close to Kukudu Adventist College about 7 to 8 pm. The vessels had been approaching each other head on in the dark. One turned in the final seconds and the other broadsided it. A young mother was killed by the collision. They have been unable to recover the body of a teenage boy. The young mothers husband was operating one of the canoes. He was struck by a propeller while trying to protect his son.
- 26 February accident in Mexico – The Yucatan Times “American Tourist Struck by Boat Propeller While Swimming in Cozumel” reports Hugh Solberg, 79 year old tourist from Minnesota, was swimming in the North Zone of Cozumel when he was struck by the propeller of “The Oyster”. Mr. Solberg suffered injuries to his legs and right arm. He was picked up by ambulance near the Aqua Safari pier. Photos show him injured at the pier on a boat powered by twin Yamaha outboards, but it is unclear if that is the boat that struck him or not.
- 26 February accident in South Africa – You.co “Girl Injured by Boat Propeller in Langebaan Lagoon” reports a yacht was stuck on a sandbar at the entrance to Mykonos Harbor on Sunday 26 February. Two semi-rigid inflatable boats (RIBS) were trying to tow the yacht from the sandbar. As they pulled the yacht loose, the family onboard one of those RIBS was ejected and the boat went into the Circle of Death. As the boat circled the three people (father, son, daughter) in the water, the other RIB and a PWC tried to help. However, the 10 year old girl was struck by the propeller. She was taken to Vredenburg Hospital.
- D? February 2017 fatality in France – The Sun “Headless Body Washes Up on English Channel Beach in Northern France” reports a dog walker found a corpse the afternoon of Tuesday February 21st. The headless, decomposed body is thought to have possibly encountered a boat propeller in the busy shipping lane. The deceased may be a migrant.
- 16 February 2017 body found – 3 March 2017 leg found – NewJersey dot com “Parts of Human Skeleton Found at Park Along Delaware River” also reports a leg was found Friday 3 March in National Park. It is thought to have belonged to a man that suicide jumped from a Schuylkill River bridge. Both his legs were later severed from his body by a boat propeller. His body was found 16 February per another 3 March story in NJ dot com
- 12 February accident – CountOn2 “Boat Propeller Injury in Punta Gorada Hospitalizes Teen” reports a seventeen year old girl fell from a boat “and was pulled into the propeller” on the Peace River at Darst Park in Punta Gorda Forida on Sunday 12 February. She was life flighted to Bayfront Health in Punta Gorda, then on to Lee Memorial Hospital.
- D 10 February UK accident – 10 February 2017 Manchester Evening News (UK) “Body Found in Canal Had Become Entangled in Propeller of Water Taxi” reports a body became entangled on the propeller of water taxi on the Bridgewater Canal near Trafford Wharf Road in Manchester on Friday morning 10 February. The engine died when the body was struck. Police are investigating. The deceased man was later identified as Ian Nally, missing from nearby since 7 January.
- 5 February 2017 accident in New Zealand – 6 February 2017 Stuff (New Zealand) “Teen Girl Injured After Inflatable Overturns on Lake Karapiro” reports three people were ejected when an inflatable flipped over about 7:50pm 5 February on Lake Karapiro. The group had been water skiing. The three people then tried to turn the inflatable boat back over. During that process, a 19 year old girl’s leg was cut by the propeller. The outboard motor was not running at that time. The girl had a deep gash in her leg and required hospital treatment.
- D 4 February 2017 accident in Australia – 5 February 2017 Daily Mail (U.K. paper) “You are my soulmate in this life and the next” reports Matthew Price and his wife Amy were on the Murray River near Ravenswood Australia with friends on Saturday 4 February. About 2 pm they were on a 7.92 meter cabin cruiser (26 foot) powered by two outboard motors. Somehow Mr. Price was critically wounded by a propeller. He was taken to Royal Perth Hospital (other reports say he was first taken to Peel Health Campus, then life flighted to Royal Perth Hospital). Matthew Price died from his injuries Sunday 6 February. The accident is being investigated.
- D Late January 2017 accident off Yemen – “Eight Somali Boat Refugees Perish Off Yemen” reports on an accident off the southern coast of Yemen in late January involving a refugee boat. A woman fell overboard and died from a propeller gash to her head. Seven men drowned in the same accident. They died while boarding a human smugglers boat. As they were boarding, a Yemeni coast guard boat approached and the smuggler’s abruptly boat took off
Previous Year – 2016 Boat Propeller Accidents