Fundraisers for People Struck by Boat Propellers
Medical costs for propeller strike injuries can be astronomical. Many struck are young people without insurance. Others are uninsured or have insurance caps that do not cover costs of these magnitudes, prosthetics, etc. In addition to meeting medical costs, several struck were providing for their families, meeting loan and mortgage payments, and face other pressing financial demands.
Over the years we have seen hundreds of fundraisers for those injured in boating accidents by boat propellers including spaghetti suppers, garage sales, bake sales, raffles, benefit concerts, restaurants donating a portion of their proceeds at an event, motorcycle runs, sales of wrist bands, t-shirt sales, donation boxes, 50/50 raffles, online donation pages, sales of donated items, dances, bar-b-ques, and many more.
More recently, we often quickly see online financial propeller accident fundraising efforts for medical and other costs as well. Friends often setup a page on one of the crowd fundraising sites to raise funds for their loved ones. They try to get follow up news stories of the victim’s recovery to list the URL. Plus they list the fundraising URL on any sites covering the victim’s recovery. We have seen propeller accident victim fundraisers using Fundrazr, YouCaring, and GiveForward. We see propeller accidents in the UK using VirginMoneyGiving. While we have not seen a propeller accident victim using Fundly, I will briefly commercial Fundly as well because the son of a friend of mine co-founded that crowd funding site.
We will be covering some of these events here. Below we will list some of the smaller less publicized events. We will try to create separate posts for some of the larger more publicized events.
If you are aware of an upcoming event not listed here, please drop us a note using the “Contact Us” tab on the top menu.
We created this new category on September 6, 2013.
- September 14, 2014 Todd Huston, well known inspirational speaker and a propeller victim himself, will be speaking in Houston Texas Thursday September 25, 2014 at the Humble Civic Arena raising funds for Clint Crain who lost his leg to a propeller on July 2, 2014 on Houston County Lake. Donations are also being accepted on GoFundMe
- July 6, 2014 numerous fundraisers are being held for Miles Wohlford, a young boy in British Columbia, Canada struck by a propeller on June 28th who died several days later from his injuries. We are covering some of the events on our page covering the Miles Wohlford accident. Online fundraising efforts are at Miracles for Miles on Fundrazr.
- July 6, 2014 numerous fundraisers are being held for Drew Barefield, a young boy in Florida also struck by propeller on June 28th. We are covering some of the events on our page covering the Drew Barefield accident. Online fundraising efforts are being spearheaded by the Emanuel Baptist Church of Crestview, Florida.
- June 27, 2014 (28 June 2014 KlKNTV report) a benefit concert was held in Lincoln Nebraska for Kent Seevers who was struck on Memorial Day. The event was held at Destinations coffee house, where Kent’s band had played together the first time. Both Kent’s arms were still in casts but he was still able to perform. They are still collecting for his ever increasing medical expenses on YouCaring.
- June 21, 2014 KTRE (Texas) reported a recent Skeet Shoot fundraiser for two injured law enforcement officers. One of them was Henry Alvarado, a game warden struck by a boat propeller on May 25th. The report said the State of Texas picked up their primary medical expenses, but they both needed assistance with all the incidental expenses. 65 shooters participated and they expect to raise about $16,000 which will be evenly split between the two officers. Alvarado still has a lot of therapy in front of him and hopes to be back to work in a year.
- June 2014 Kent Seevers Foundation online fundraising at YouCaring. Kent was struck in Nebraska over Memorial Day Weekend.
- October 26, 2013 (Saturday) Brent Waddell Halloween Benefit Social fundraiser at Valleyview Community Centre in Brandon, Manitoba Canada. Tickets are $15. Brent’s left arm was reattached after an August propeller accident on Sandy Lake.
- September 20, 2013 (Friday) Tyler Murphy fundraiser by Team Murphy. Dinner, Drinks, Dancing, and Silent Auction. 6-11 pm. $50 donation for entry. Event is at 3540 Amethyst Way, Turlock CA.
- September 14, 2013 Samantha Maywell Fundraiser at Brooksville FL Chick-fil-A on Cortez Blvd from 4 to 7 pm. See our Mermaid Samantha Chick-fil-A Fundraiser page for details.
- 2013 – we just came across this still ongoing fundraiser on 6 July 2014 for Patricia ? on YouCaring. We are usually a little leery of fundraisers with no last name for the victim and no supporting newsclips, and we had not previously heard of this accident. It might well be real, we just suggest you check it out before donating.