Media coverage of 2015 recreational boat propeller accidents.
If you are aware of coverage of a 2015 propeller accident that is not reported here, please contact us.
Fatal accidents are coded immediately in front of the reporting data as:
D indicates a U.S. fatality
D indicates a fatality outside the U.S.
- 31 December 2015 Accident Date – 1 January 2016 The Border Mail (Australia) “Girl in Boat Accident” reports a 10 year old girl was in the waters of Lake Mulwala near Nevins Beach about 5:30pm Thursday 31 December 2015. She was ran over by a boat towing two knee boarders. The young girl suffered severe lacerations to her legs and was life flighted to Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne.The press does not specifically describe it as a propeller accident, but we have heard accounts stating it was.
- D 14 December COMMERCIAL VESSEL Coconuts (Jakarta) “Australian Man Dies While Trying to Rescue Ferry Crew in the Thousand Islands” reports Gregory Roberts Jones a citizen of Australia was a passenger on the Tidung Express ferry off Pulau Pelangi, Kepulauan Seribu (Thousand Islands) on 13 December. As the ferry was leaving Pulau Pelangi, about a kilometer off the island in heavy rains, a member of the crew fell off the ferry. Some other members of the crew plus Mr. Jones jumped in to try to rescue the crew member that fell overboard. “Jones was fatally wounded during the attempted rescue as the boat’s propeller cut open his torso.” Jones was taken to a hospital in Pulau Pramuka, and died shortly afterwards. The crew member that fell overboard is believed to have drowned, his body was not recovered.
- 14 November 2015 Stuff (New Zealand) “Kiwi Holidaymaker Lost a Lot of Blood When Arm Caught in Boat Rotor” reports a 50 year old lady from Dunedin New Zealand was off of Hayman Island Australia (in the Whitsundays) on Thursday 13 November. The lady was riding a Seabob, sort of an underwater PWC / jet ski, about noon. As she surfaced, a boat ran over her. The lady suffered “massive lacerations, lost a lot of blood and broken both the bones in her arm.” She was life flighted by rescue helicopter from Mackay to Hayman Island, then taken to Townsville Hospital. The helicopter traveled over 700 kilometers.
- 11 November 2015 COMMERCIAL VESSEL WESH (Orando Florida) “Man Loses Parts of Both Legs in Accident at Port Canaveral” reports a man was on a crew boat that shuttles workers to and from land while dredging operations continue at Port Canaveral on Tuesday 10 November. As the crew backs up to a barge they leave the propellers running to hold the boat in place while the crew gets off and on over the stern. The man fell while going from the crew boat to the barge. He was struck by the propellers. He lost both legs below the knee and clung to a rope while others rescued him.
- 13 October 2015 SowegaLive (Bainbridge Georgia) “Local Man Injured in Boat Accident Near Bainbridge Boat Basin” reports Calvin Brownhill of Bainbridge Georgia was operating a small fishing boat near Earl May Boat Basin about 1:30 Tuesday afternoon 13 October. He lost control of the boat and was ejected. He was struck in the arm by the boat propeller. A friend onboard was not ejected. Rescuers took Brownhill to shore to meet an ambulance, but then decided to take him to the opposite shore by boat due to the seriousness of his injuries. Another boater towed the boat involved in the accident back to shore. Brownhill was taken to a hospital in Tallahassee Florida. It is not yet known what caused him to lose control of the boat.
- D 15 October 2015 Portland Press Herald (Maine) “Diver Who Died in Portland Harbor Apparently Was Hit by a Spinning Propeller” reports on an accident that happened Wednesday October 7th in Portland Harbor. The propeller and drive shaft of a 65 foot fishing boat (possibly a small commercial vessel), “Jamie & Ashley”, had previously become tangled in a lobster buoy rope. The vessel was currently moored at Portland Fish Pier. A professional diver, Dennis McGrath, 56 of Scarborough Maine, was removing the rope on Wednesday. The boat’s engine was running, at some point during this process the propeller was engaged, and Mr. McGrath was struck and killed by the propeller. A dive team recovered the body. A local commercial divers association and a representative of the American Diving Contractors Association spoke out on safety guidelines that should be followed during this process. A spokesperson for OSHA talked about lockout/tagout procedures used in industrial applications with application to this procedure as well.
- 5 October 2015 Herald Sun Leader (Australia) “Boaties Forced to Swim to Shore at Mt. Martha as Waves Batter Boat” reports on another accident as well. In the second accident, a snorkeler was struck by a boat propeller near the Portsea Pier on 4 October. The man in his 50’s snorkeling was stuck in the arm by the boat propeller and taken to Frankston Hospital about 5:50 pm.
- D 4 October 2015 KIIITV, South Texas “Woman Involved in Boating Accident Dies at Hospital” reports an elderly woman and a passenger were on the back of a boat Saturday morning 3 October near Marker 37. Both fell off the stern, the elderly lady was struck by the propeller. She was taken to Christus Spohn Memorial Hospital with injuries to her neck and shoulder. She died at the hospital.
- D 29 September 2015 WJBD Radio (Salem, Illinois) “Radon Man Dies in Washington County Fishing Accident” reports Juan Carlos Sanchez-Mora, 34 year old male from Radom Illinois, was fishing with friends in Washington County Lake Conservation Area on the night of Monday September 28th. About midnight he fell or jumped from the boat and was struck in the head by the boat propeller. His friends were unable to find his body. Illinois DNR found his body in about six feet of water about 7:50am Tuesday morning using sonar.
- 27 September 2015 Wayne.com (Indiana) “DNR: Two Injured After Ski Boat runs Over Fishing Boat” reports Dominic Fisher 32 of Milford Indiana and a 22 year old female were on a 15 foot aluminum fishing boat about 2am Sunday 27 September on Lake Tippecanoe. A 21 foot ski boat ran over the boat just described. The young woman was struck in the head by the bow of the boat, and one of Dominic Fisher’s legs was nearly severed by the propeller. He was life flighted to a hospital in Fort Wayne while the lady was taken to by ambulance.
- D 23 September 2015 Victoria Advocate (Texas) “Spring Man Dies in Seadrift Boating Accident” reports Richard Osborn, 47 of Spring Texas, was in a 23 foot Shoalwater boat on Contee Lake near Seadrift on Monday 21 September. Three others were onboard for the fishing trip. He fell from the boat about 9:45am, was struck by the propeller, and died at the scene.
- 21 September 2015 WSVN 7 News (Miami/ Fort Lauderdale Florida)”Officials Search for Boater After Fleeing From Accident” reports a person was trying helping to push a boat off in Biscayne Boat, was struck by the propeller, and the boater fled the scene in the boat. The boat is described as 20 feet, white, with a different colored Bimini top. FFWCC is investigating.
- D 14 September 2015 The Riviera Times (Monaco) “Journalist Dies During Demonstration at Cannes Yachting Festival” reports two journalists representing a boating publication in Serbia and a representative of the boat brand being demonstrated at Cannes Yachting Festival were on board a ten meter RIB about 7pm Saturday 12 September. During the demonstration, the captain was ejected, the male journalist was ejected, then the 30 year old female journalist was ejected. They were about a mile off the Cannes coast. One report says the female may have jumped in in panic instead of been ejected. Authorities note video evidence may be available. The female writer was “caught up and killed instantly by the propeller.”
- 11 September 2015 Daily Breeze (Torrance California) “Avalon Resident Hit, Killed by Boat’s Propeller While Snorkeling” reports A lady, 22, was snorkeling off Catalina Island on Thursday 10 September. She was snorkeling in the mooring field at Isthmus Cove about 12:10pm. The woman was struck in the head and killed by a boat propeller. Authorities took her body to the LA Coroners office at Boyle Heights. The Los Angeles Times later identified the woman as Belinda Nguyen
- 8 September 2015 Effingham Daily News (Illinois) “Man Injured in Boating Accident” reports Ryan Beccue, 24 was on a ski boat in the Gypsy Cove are of Lake Sarah on Labor Day (Monday 7 September). About 6 pm, the boat was underway, he was standing, a wave caused him to be ejected, he tried to grab onto the railing around the boat, was pulled under the boat, and struck by the propeller. He was life flighted to a hospital in Carle.
- 28 August 2015 (INDIA) New India express “Two More Ferry Mishap Bodies Found” reports a passenger ferry was struck by a speeding fishing boat on Wednesday 26 August near the fishing village of Fort Kochi Vijayan and sank. 33 people, including rescuers, and victims, have been admitted to area hospitals. Two rescuers “injured their legs after being struck by the boat’s propeller” and were admitted to Fort Kochi Taluk Hospital.
- 23 August 2015 Fox Carolina (South Carolina) “DNR: Man, 2 Children Struck by Boat on Lake Robinson” reports a family was in a tiller steered outboard boat on Lake Robinson on Sunday 23 August. “The throttle hung up” (we guess that means it stuck at full throttle), the family was ejected, and the boat circled. An 8 year old boy was struck by the propeller. He received “four to five inch deep gashes.” A 4 to 5 year old girl was injured on her right heel, and the father’s right arm was broken. The boy, girl, and father were taken to Greenville Memorial Hospital. Officials said, “the only reason the boat did not run over the boy and father is because it ran out of gas.”
- 21 August 2015 News-Leader (Missouri) “Ski Boat Propeller Seriously Injures Woman at Stockton Lake” reports Shaylen C. Wright, 24 from Roundlake Park, Illinois was on a tube waiting to be pulled on Stockton Lake on Thursday 20 August. The boat had its steering wheel turned all the way to the left. When the boat took off, it circled and she was struck by the propeller. The young woman was life flighted to Cox South Hospital.
- 20 August 2015 WSOCTV (North Carolina) “Teen Falls on Boat Propeller While Tubing on Lake Norman” reports a 15 year old girl was riding a towed tube on Lake Norman about 8pm Thursday night 20 August near Morning Star Marina in Troutman North Carolina. She fell from the tube, and received “a broken leg and severe cuts”. The article hints she may have been up close to the boat and fallen on the propeller, but only very minimal details are provided.
- D 19 August 2015 Tico Times (Costa Rica) “U.S. Citizen Dies in Boating Accident Off Costa Rica Playa Herradura” reports Won Ah, a 30 year old tourist from the United States, was on a fishing charter with his brother and 5 other tourists on August 13th. They were in the “Circle Hook”, a 30 foot boat, about 3 miles off Los Suenos Marina in Playa Herradura. The tourists asked the captain to stop the boat, he left the motors idling, some tourists jumped into the water to swim. The captain heard a loud noise, stopped the engines. Won Ah was apparently entrapped in the propeller by his bathing suit. He died at the scene of the accident.
- 18 August 2015 Press Enterprise (California) “Big Bear Lake: Boat Accident Severely Cuts Vacationer, Sister Arrested” reports. Ian Jalalian, 24 of Leesburg Virginia was on a rented boat in Big Bear Lake with his sister on Monday August 17th. About 2:30pm, he was accidentally pitched out of the boat. When his sister circled back to pick him up, he was struck by the propeller. He was taken to the west ramp, treated by paramedics, and life flighted to Loma Linda University Medical Center. He suffered “severe cuts to both legs and at least on broken bone.”
- 16 August 15 CP24 (Canada) “Man Injured by Boat Propeller in Trent-Severn Waterway” reports a 32 year old male was operating a boat on Trent-Severn Waterway near South Georgian Bay near Big Chute Island on Saturday evening August 15. The boat was towing someone, the operator stopped the boat to take his turn at riding the floating device, he jumped into the water, was struck by the propeller, and life flighted to a hospital in Toronto.
- 13 August 2015 WSBT24 (Michigan) “Man Hit by Boat Propeller in Marshall Co. Lake” reports William Walker was tubing in Lake Maxinkuckee a about 5pm on Wednesday 12 August. The towing boat operator did not see him till the last second (perhaps after he fell and they were returning to pick him up?), the operator attempted to shut off the boat, but bumped the throttle. “Walker went partially under the boat and was cut by the prop.” He was taken by ambulance to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Plymouth.
- 11 August 2015 Perth Now (Australia) “Fisho Injured After Falling From Boat, Then Hit by Propeller” reports from the Northern Territory a 30 year old male and some of his friends were fishing in a tinny (small aluminum boat) off Maningrida on Monday 10 August. He fell overboard about 6:30pm, “went underneath the boat, and was hit by the propeller.” The man received a “serious gash to his arm.” He was taken to Maningrida Health Clinic, then life flighted to Royal Darwin Hospital.
- D?11 August 2015 The Post (Zambia, Africa) “Police Retrieve Body of Makumbi Boat Captain From Zambezi River” reports Ephriam Daka slipped from his boat and fell into the water on Saturday 8 August. His body was found Sunday. He had a deep cut to his forehead caused by striking a rock or “the boat’s propeller blades.”
- 9 August 2015 WTNH (Connecticut accident) “2 Injured by Power Boat Propeller in Connecticut” reports Stephanie Ryan, 23 of Bethany, and Ronald Borruso, Jr, of Hamden were in a boat on the Connecticut River near Haddam on Sunday 9 August. Another person drove the boat toward them. Stephanie Ryan “suffered severe cuts to her lower extremities” from the propeller and was taken to Hartford Hospital. Ronald Borruso Jr received minor propeller injuries and refused medical treatment at the scene.
- 9 August 2015 New York Daily News “Woman Hit by Boat Propeller” reports a lady from Long Island was on a boat between Cove Neck and Cold Spring Harbor (off north end of Long Island) on Saturday 8 August. An inflated tube became untied from the boat. The woman jumped in to retrieve the tube, the boat operator reversed the boat, and “she was struck by the propeller and suffered severe lacerations to her leg.” A Huntington Patch report says the woman was 34, the accident happened about 12:30pm, the boat was in the process of anchoring, her right leg was struck by the prop, and she was life flighted. Later reports identify the woman as Edyta Regnowski. She rented a boat from Boatbound. A friend operating the boat was unaware Regnowski had just jumped in to retrieve a tube that had become unattached to the boat. A lawsuit has since been filed against Boatbound. (Sounds a lot like the Robin Listman accident). Regnowski was said to have been entrapped on the 19 foot Bayliner boat propeller for about 25 minutes.
- D 7 August 2015 Morgan Hill Times (California) “Man Dies in Morgan Hill Boating Accident” reports a 20 year old male was in a ski boat on Anderson Reservoir on Friday 7 August. He was part of a group of people onboard, he fell from the moving boat and was struck by the propeller. Boaters were able to get him back on board and to Woodchopper Flats picnic area. He was declared dead onsite. A later report says he jumped or fell from the PWC just before the boat passed it. The man was later identified as Cuong Thanh Dang. Family and friends are raising funds on gofundme to cover funeral expenses.
- 7 August 2015 Parker Live (California) “Man Hit by Prop Survives, Recovering in Hospital” reports a military male from Twentynine Palms was on a boat near Headgate Dam, southwest of BlueWater Resort & Casino. Between 2 and 3pm they were trying to pull anchor. The man jumped in, perhaps to try to help release the anchor, the motor was running, the boat ran over his head and the propeller struck him in the face. He was life flighted to a Palm Springs hospital.
- 7 August 2015 The Journal (Ireland) “Man Hit by Propeller of Out-of-Control Boat After Falling Overboard” reports a man fell from a RIB on Clew Bay, Co Mayo (Ireland) on Thursday 6 August. Emergency Services received several calls about an out of control boat going in circles at speed. Achill Island lifeboat was first on the scene and found a man in the water with leg injuries thought to have been from being struck by the propeller. The man was life flighted to Mayo General Hospital
- 2 August 2015 Fox8 (High Point, North Carolina) “Man Injured on Belews Lake After Boat Propeller Hits Foot” reports from Stokesdale NC, a man was struck in the foot by a boat propeller on Belews Lake the afternoon of Sunday 2 August. He was taken by the pontoon boat he was with to Carolina Marina where they were met by rescue crews.
- 2 August 2015 Seattle Times (Washington) “Woman’s Leg Slashed in Boat Propeller Accident at Seafair” reports a 19 year old young woman was at the logboom area of Lake Washington where boats and crowds gather to watch the festivities including hydroplane races and an air show at Seafair (an annual festival). Her leg was slashed by a boat propeller about 2:30 pm. She was taken to Harborview Medical Center.
- 1 August 2015 Herald Extra (Provo Utah) “Boater Sent to ER After Utah Lake Accident” reports a 22 year old male was wakeboarding on Utah Lake Saturday afternoon August 1st. He fell, the boat operator came back to retrieve him, and the man’s lower right leg was cut by the boat’s propeller. He was taken to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center.
- D 25 July 2015 Las Vegas Review-Journal “Man Dead After Being Hit by a Boat on Lake Mohave” reports a man in his 50’s was on Lake Mohave near Laughlin on Saturday 25 July. He was struck by the propeller of a boat driven by a woman when the boat was reversed, AND “ran over the man, fatally cutting him with its propeller.” There was one other person on the boat with the woman. The same publication later identified the man as Charles Estrada, age 51 from Mission Viejo, California. Later reports indicate the woman intended to put the boat in forward, but it went in reverse instead.
- 25 July 2015 KGW (Portland Oregon) “Woman’s Leg Cut by Boat Propeller in Willamette River” reports eight people were with a pontoon boat on Willamette River on Saturday evening 25 July. Some of those eight were swimming when the boat was put in gear and a woman’s leg was struck by the propeller. She was taken to Oregon Health & Science University Hospital.
- 23 July 2015 News in English.no (Norway) “Queen Helps Teens After Boat Accident” reports two teenage girls were boating off the Island of Tjome on Monday 20 July. That evening they became aware of another girl who fell from another boat and “gashed her leg on its propeller.” The two girls decided to take the injured girl to the Royal Family’s summer home knowing authorities could be quickly contacted there. Afterwards, Queen Sonja spent some time visiting with the two girls that rescued the other girl.
- 21 July 2015 Global News (Canada) “Swimmer Seriously Hurt by Boat Propeller at Echo Lake” reports a 21 year old male from Regina was swimming in Echo Lake Monday night 20 July. He was struck by the propeller of a pontoon boat, then life flighted to a hospital in Regina.
- 12 July 2015 The Suffolk Times (New York) “Man Suffers Lacerations From Boat Propeller in Gardiner’s Bay” reports Mark Coen, 56 of Gales Ferry Connecticut, was swimming in Gardiner’s Bay a little before 5pm Saturday 11 July. Returning to his boat, he was at the swim ladder when his shirt became entangled in the boat propeller. He received severe lacerations to his upper right thigh from the boat propeller. Rescuers got him back on his boat, then to shore at Klipp Park in Greenport NY. Mr. Coen was then treated at the scene, and life flighted to Stony Brook University Hospital.
- 12 July 2015 CTV News Calgary (Canada) “Teenage Girl Struck by Boat Propeller on Lake Newell” reports a 17 year old girl was on a boat on Lake Newell near Brooks about 7pm Friday 10 July. She fell overboard, was struck by the propeller, and received serious injuries to her torso and leg. The girl was life flighted to Foothills Medical Centre.
- 11 July 2015 Union Leader (New Hampshire) “Two Boaters Hurt After Fall into Crescent Lake” reports Patrick, Christine, and Erin Curry of Glastonbury Connecticut were on a boat in Crescent Lake in Wolfeboro Saturday afternoon July 11. They hit a wake, all three were ejected, the boat went into the Circle of Death, Erin was struck on the hip by the propeller, and Christine was struck on the leg by the propeller. Patrick was able to reach into the boat and pull the kill switch lanyard and stop the circling boat. Erin and Christine were taken to Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro.
- D Gazetta del Sud (Italian publication covers accident in Sardinia, a large Mediterranean island) “Girl, 8, Killed by Boat Propeller in Sardinia – Update” reports from Cagliari that an 8 year old Sardinian girl was on a boat off Santa Margherita di Pula beach area on the south coast of Sardinia on Thursday July 9. She dove in with her father and was struck by the propeller. Propellers cut her vital organs and rescuers were unable to save her.
- POSSIBLE prop accident – 7 Jul 2015 FoxCT (Connecticut) “Woman Critically Injured in Branford Boating Accident” reports a woman was on a boat near the Farm River shortly after midnight, very early Tuesday morning 7 July. Authorities think a rope became entrapped in the propeller, the boat swerved, she was ejected, and struck by the boat. She suffered “traumatic injuries to her left arm, face, and back”. The woman was taken to Yale New Haven Hospital. Branford and East Haven fire crews responded.
- D 6 July 2015 Fox8 (High Point North Carolina) “Teen Killed in Lake Norman Accident Remembered as Bubbly, Friendly” reports Sheyenne Marshall, 17, was boating with her boyfriend, family, and friends Saturday July 4th on Lake Norman. She was kneeboarding about 8pm when another boat ran over her from behind.” Investigators said it appears the propeller struck her body”. She died from her injuries.
- 6 July 2015 KIRO tv (Seattle Washington) “One Dead, 5 Injured After Suspected Drunk Boater Causes Collision” reports there was an accident on the water after the July 4th fireworks display in Tacoma. One boat with four people on board going about 40 to 45 mph when it struck the boat of a married couple. The couple, Robert and Vicki Brown, were hospitalized. Their daughter said, “I’m pretty sure my mom was knocked out of the boat and her arm was sucked into the propeller.”
- D? 5 July 2015 KJRH (Tulsa Oklahoma) “Update: GRDA Investigating Fatal Boating Accidents at Grand Lake and Lake Hudson” reports on three accidents, including one on Lake Hudson (also called Markham Ferry Reservoir) near Langley. A woman on a pontoon boat fell through the front gate and was ran over and killed. Note – news coverage does not specifically mention her being struck by the propeller, we have yet to confirm she was struck by the propeller. With over the bow pontoon boat accidents starting to be in the news again, we refer our viewers to our list of over 150 over the bow pontoon boat accidents and our post detailing many ways to prevent over the bow pontoon boat propeller accidents in which we detail many approaches to address this problem. We encourage the industry to take advantage of the page devoted to designs.
- 5 July 2015 Tulsa World (Oklahoma) “Teenage Girl Injured in Lake Eufaula Boating Accident” reports a 13 year old girl was on a 21 foot ski boat on Lake Eufaula about 5:30pm Saturday July 4th. As she was exiting the stern of the boat, another boat approached. The operator of the boat the young girl had been in thought his boat was about to be struck by the second boat, so he reversed. The girl was struck by the propeller of the boat she had exited. The operator of the boat the girl had been in thought she had returned to the boat before he put it in reverse. The injured teenage girl was taken to Evergreen Marina, then to East Star Hospital in Muskogee. Reports indicate the second boat left the scene of the accident.
- 3 July 2015 The Fresno Bee (California) “Woman Injures Leg in Bass Lake Accident” reports a female in her 20’s fell from the bow of a boat underway about 4 pm July 3rd on Bass Lake. She was pulled into the propeller, which struck one of her legs. The young woman was life flighted to an area hospital.Other reports suggest she may have been bowriding a pontoon boat
- 29 June 2015 Journal Star (Nebraska) “Boating Accidents Leave One Dead, Another Seriously Injured” reports a man was operating a boat on Whitney Lake near Crawford. The boat hit a wake while turning, and a woman was ejected. She was struck in the shoulder and arm by the boat’s propeller. The woman was taken to Chadron Community Hospital, then life flighted to a hospital in Fort Collins, Colorado.
- D? 24 June 2015 Accident Date – 24 June 2015 NJ.com (New Jersey) “Boy 10, Dies in Lake Hopatcong Boating Accident Report Says” reports Christoper D’Amico Jr., 10, was on a 20 foot rented pontoon boat being operated by his father near Bryam Cove about 1pm June 24th. The young boy fell overboard and was struck in the head by the pontoon boat. NOTE – news coverage does not specifically mention this boy being struck by a propeller, but we suspect he may have been. Funds are being raised for medical and funeral expenses at gofundme.
- 21 June 2015 ABC7 (Fort Myers Florida) “Victims in Charlotte County Boat Crash Speak Out” reports a father (Jerrod Ehling), his son, his nephew, and Jerrod Ehling’s brother were on a 16 foot boat near the Charlotte County northbound bridge on U.S. Hiway 41 Saturday evening 21 June. The dad lost control of the steering (authorities are investigating possible steering system failure) at about 25 mph. The boat crashed into Charlotte county bridge about 7pm, all three were ejected, and the father was struck by the propeller and his son was thrown headfirst into a bridge pillar. The dad was struck in the arm and spine by the propeller. The boat sank. It is anticipated the nephew will be moved to Lee Memorial Hospital.
- 18 June 2015 Echo Press (Minnesota) “Update: Boating Injury Reported on Lake Irene” reports Nicholas Didier Galler, 29 was tubing on Lake Irene today (18 June). He “was struck by a boat propeller” and taken by ambulance to meet a helicopter in which he was life flighted to a hospital. The man had “a serious laceration to his right calf and leg.” Later reports say he was taken to CentraCare Health in St. Cloud Minnesota.
- 15 June 2015 CBS5AZ (Arizona) “Man Hit by Boat Propeller Airlifted to Phoenix Hospital” reports a boat operator backed a boat into a man in the water on Lake Pleasant on Sunday 15 June. The man in the water “suffered cuts to his body after he was hit by a boat propeller” and also fractured his ankle. The man was life flighted to John C. Lincoln North Mountain Hospital. AZ Central reports the 25 year old male was “struck on his backside” about 2:45 pm by the propeller of a boat he was previously in.
- 13 June 2015 Local 10 (Miami Florida) “Man Hit by Boat Propeller off Miami Coast” reports a 37 year old man was on a catamaran at Nixon Beach (well known party spot near Key Biscayne and site of the D.J. Laz accident and many more) on Saturday June 13th. The man jumped into the water from the catamaran and was struck by its rotating propeller. He was taken to Mercy Hospital in Miami, then life flighted to Jackson Memorial’s Ryder Trauma Center per NBC Miami with serious leg injuries.
- 10 June 2015 Bankok Post (Thailand) “British Diver Badly Hurt by Propeller” reports along with other sources, Alice Davies, 19 of Great Britain, was night diving near an island off the Koh Tao District on Tuesday 9 June. She was diving along with others. She was struck by the propeller of another dive boat with divers in the area, “her leg was severely lacerated, with two broken bones, and she had lost a lot of blood.” A new rescue boat at Koh Tao responded that would not previously have been available. The young woman was taken to a hospital on Koh Tao, then moved to Thai International Hospital on Koh Samul. Officials identified the dive boat that struck her as the “Thaniya Namchoke”. The new rescue boat along with the response of divers in her group helped make the rescue a success. The report indicates another female tourist was struck and killed by a boat propeller in the same area on December 22.
- 9 June 2015 WSILTV (Southern Illinois) “Two Accidents on Lake of Egypt in Under a Week” reports a woman attempting to board a boat after tubing on Lake of Egypt was struck by the boat’s propeller on Sunday 7 June. A local marina owner said he did not recall any accidents on the lake in over 20 years, however Indiana DNR records indicated two accidents from 1993 to 2014. There were two recent accidents on the lake within a week.
- 7 June 2015 KRCR (California) “Woman Airlifted to Hospital After Boating Accident” reports Jenny Smotherman, 40 of Rocklin Colorado, was with a rental houseboat in the Squaw Arm of Lake Shasta on on June 6th near Bear Cove and Corey Cove. A ski boat and a bass boat the group had rented started to drift toward the houseboat. Jenny Smotherman jumped in behind the houseboat while its propeller was in gear. She was cut on both legs by the propeller, taken to Silverthorn Resort, and life flighted to a nearby hospital (our guess is they took her to Mercy Hospital in Redding). We find it odd the report did not mention another houseboat accident on Lake Shasta just a week earlier.
We refer anybody interested in house boat propeller accidents to our in depth report on houseboat propeller accidents and rule proposed and withdrawn by the Coast Guard.
- 5 June 2015 accident date – KTVC News Channel 9 (Chattanooga Tennessee) “9-Year-Old Survives Boat Propeller Accident” recalls a June 2015 accident in which Aiden Brown, then 9, was sitting on the edge of a boat. His mother looked back and Aiden had fallen. “Aiden fell off and went through the propeller. … you could just reach out and touch his heart…”. Aiden was life flighted to Children’s Hospital in Erianger. A doctor recounts his interactions with this young boy and his great attitude during his recovery. A May 2016 Smithville Review report on a gathering of those who helped rescue the boy, noted it was the family’s new pontoon boat. Times Free Press ran a nice followup story on Aiden Brown and those who rescued him about a year later (16 May 2016).
- 1 June 2015 Global News (Canada) “Vernon Man Hit by Boat Propeller Seriously Injured” reports a 21 year old male was boating with four friends on Okanagan Lake. A wake boarder fell, the boat operator turned to go back around to them, the man fell from the bow, and was struck by the propeller. He was taken to shore, and then on to Vernon Jubilee Hospital.
- 31 May 2015 CBS Boston Massachusetts “Woman Badly Injured in Boston Harbor Boating Accident” reports a woman fell from a boat in Boston Harbor early Saturday evening May 30th. As she was being pulled back to the boat, the woman came in contact with the propeller. The propeller severed her arm at the shoulder and caused other serious injuries. When the Coast Guard arrived, thirteen people were on the boat and five more were in the water. The woman was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital. The accompanying video news report said the Coast Guard was still searching for the woman’s arm on into the night. The injured lady’s name was later released by the Daily Mail (UK) as 19 year old Nicole Berthiaume. Reports late June 9th said the lawyer previously thought to have been the boat operator may not have been on the boat at the time of the accident.
- 30 May 2015 Record Searchlight “Updated: Woman in Hospital for Propeller Cuts” reports Olga Cioban, 26 of Sacramento California, was with a houseboat on Lake Shasta on Saturday afternoon May 30. About 3:50pm they were in the Pit Arm, just west of Ski Island. Someone’s hat blew off on the upper deck. The houseboat operator reversed the boat, Olga Cioban jumped in, and was struck in the right foot and left leg by the house boat propeller. Shasta County Boating Safety Unit responded, took her to Bridge Bay, and she was taken by ambulance to Mercy Hospital in Redding. Deputies said alcohol does not appear to have been a factor. NOTE – another woman was struck by a houseboat propeller on Lake Shasta about a week later.
- D United Kingdom Accident – 30 May 2015 Henley Standard “Woman Dies After Falling Off Boat” reports Sheila Currie, 69 of Hook in the UK, was on a boat downstream of Cleeve Lock (today May 30?) when she fell from the boat and was struck by the propeller. The lock keeper pulled her out. She was taken to John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford and died shortly later. While no mention is made of the type of boat, we suspect it may be a narrow boat due to the location of the accident.
- D 27 May 2015 Manteca Bulletin (California) “Two Die in Water Mishaps” reports some adults and children were on a boat on the San Joaquin on Monday 25 May. Near Lathrop, close to the Mossdale Crossing Railroad Bridge, the boat struck some rocks. Several adults and 5 children, including an 8 year old boy from Tracy, were ejected. The young boy from Tracy was killed, “he was thought to have been hit by the boat’s propeller.” The boy was later identified in the media as Jonathan Ledesma Mejia
- 27 May 2015 The Advocate (Alabama Accident) “Good Samaritan Baton Rouge Residents Rescue 6 Off Orange Beach Coast” reports six men in a 26 foot center console fishing boat capsized in Gulf of Mexico about 5 miles off Orange Beach Alabama in rough water on Saturday 24 May. A 61 foot boat with some residents of Baton Rouge passing by rescued them. “One man had a minor injury from a propeller” per one of the rescuers.
- 25 May 2015 Havasu News (Arizona) (accident at border of AZ and CA not sure which state) “Havasu Fire Department: California Man Treated for Life-Threatening Injuries After Legs Struck by Boat Propeller” reports a man, age 28, was wading or floating behind the boat he and others were with on Lake Havasu Saturday 24 May near Copper Canyon. The boat’s engine was started and his legs were struck by the propeller. The injured man was taken to Havasu Regional Medical Center, then on to a medical facility in Las Vegas.
- 18 May 2015 WWAYTV (North Carolina) “Woman Injured by Boat Propeller in Sunday Accident” reports Colleen Hamilton, 41 of Shallotte North Carolina, and three other people were in a 14 foot boat near Tripps Marina by Village Point Road near the boat ramp about 7 pm Sunday May 17th. A large vessel came by, the wake pushed their small boat into a channel marker, Colleen Hamilton fell overboard, and was struck by the propeller. She received severe cuts to her arm, thought to have been caused by the propeller, and was taken to New Hanover Regional Medical Center.
- D 16 May 2015 ABC7 (Fort Myers Florida) “Search Crew Recover Two Bodies Near Charlotte Harbor” reports Harold Goodwin, 65, and Richard Goodwin, 29, left Charlotte Harbor in a boat about 4pm Friday 15 May. About 8:13 pm emergency services received a call about an unmanned boat near Hog Island spinning in circles (the Circle of Death). About 10:30pm the same evening both bodies were recovered. “One of the bodies appeared to have propeller cuts on separate parts of his body.” The boat was seized as evidence. While no mention is made of their use or non-use of kill switch lanyards in this article, we anticipate kill switch lanyards will be mentioned in future coverage of this accident.
- 11 May 2015 WVTM Chanel 13 (Alabama) “Birmingham Teen Injured in Boating Accident” reports William Wade, 15, was operating a bass boat solo when he fell from the boat and was struck by the propeller. He was life flighted to Children’s Hospital of Alabama Early reports do not mention if the boat was circling in the Circle of Death or not
- D? Recreational – Commercial accident 11 May 2015 MLive (Michigan) “Divers Not Giving Up Search for Man Lost in Saginaw River Barge Crash” reports two men from Vassar were fishing the Saginaw River on the morning of Friday May 8th. About 10:50am they had engine problems, a tugboat pulling a barge was approaching their location. The tugboat struck the fishing boat. Robert Arthur Todd, 53, is officially still missing, but the Sheriff’s Office says they have recovered evidence of his death and believe he was pinched between the two boats, or struck by the propeller of the tugboat. The search for Mr. Todd’s body is still ongoing.
- D? 24 April 2015 KRGV (Rio Grande Valley, Texas” “Woman’s Body Found at Port of Brownsville” reports Patricia Guadalupe Cervantes Garcia’s body washed ashore at the Port of Brownsville the morning of 24 April. A Mexican national, her body was cut at her waist, and her right foot had been amputated. Authorities suspect she was swimming across the ship channel and was struck by a boat. Later reports indicate a Coast Guard patrol boat struck something in the area during the night, stopped, but was unable to identify anything they may have struck. Later coverage also reports the Cameron County Sheriffs Office thinks she may have been struck by a boat propeller while trying to swim across the channel.
- D 18 April 2015 Accident – 5 May 2015 The Islander (Florida) “Woman Dies Boating” reports Angela Casadonte, 29 of Bradenton, was on a 20 foot Proline boat with three other people. The boat struck a wake, she was ejected, and struck by the propeller. Angela Casadonte was taken to Blake Medial Center in Bradenton where she was declared dead.
- 13 & 14 April 2015 Northwest Florida Daily News “Paddleboarder Hit by Boat, Flown to Hospital” reports a woman, later identified as Kristy Marie Wise, 28 of Georgia, was paddleboarding near the southeast side of Shalimar Bridge in Garnier Bayou bout 10:30pm Saturday 11 April 2015. She was struck by a hit and run boat thought to have possibly been a pontoon boat. Wise and a friend were carrying the proper lighting for paddleboarding at night, they even tried to shine a light on the oncoming boat. Both of them jumped off the to keep from being struck by the oncoming boat. Wise’s leg was struck by the propeller. She was treated on site, then she was going to be life flighted to Baptist Hospital in Pensacola, but weather conditions forced a delivery by ambulance. A follow up article the next day (14th) by the same publisher credits a nearby fisherman with possible saving Kristy Marie Wise. He retrieved her from the water and brought her to shore. The man she was paddling with also helped by putting a tourniquet on her leg. Wise’ leg was amputated below the knee.
- D 7 April 2015 Newsday (Trinidad & Tobago) “Freak Deaths” reports Kevin “Ragga” Morris, age 40 of Queens Bay, Betsy Hope in Tobago was participating in a boating regatta at Roxborough on Easter Sunday 5 April. He was operating a racing boat named G-Unit TFT 1690. While following the shoreline to the west, Morris veered into the path of a pirogue named “Teacher” about 4:15 pm. Morris was “slashed by the propellers of a pirogue”, suffered extensive head injuries and facial disfiguration. He was taken to Scarborough General Hospital and pronounced dead on arrival. Morris’ co-pilot was treated and released from the hospital. The article goes on to recount some previous local accidents we have covered: Lilly Adiel Blaides in 2013, Yannick Quesnel and Carolina Barry-Lasso in June 2007. They fail to recall the Welch accident in August 2009.
- D 3 April 2015 accident in the Bahamas – 23 January 2019 Bahama Tribune 242 “I Didn’t See Vessel Coming, Says Retired Boat Captain” reports a large yacht (the 90 foot Sir John) said to have been owned by the man who founded Sandal’s Resorts ran over a 15 foot sailboat in clear skies back on 3 April 2015. Timothy Ferguson and two others were on the sailboat. Mr. Ferguson was wounded by the yacht’s propellers and later died from his wounds. A court convened in January 2019 to determine liability for this accident.
- 31 March 2015 Times Daily (Alabama) “Boating Accident Leaves Principal Hospitalized” reports Jason Simmons, a high school principal in Alabama, was on Wilson Lake headed to a residence on Alabama Shores about 7:30pm Sunday 29 March. Simmons and his wife had been fishing. The boat turned quickly, they were both ejected, the boat came at them (we suspect it was in the Circle of Death), he tried to shield his wife and was seriously struck by the propeller in his lower left leg. The boat came to a stop and they were able to get back on board. Jason Simmons was life flighted to Huntsville Hospital. Mrs. Simmons was released from Helen Keller Hospital in Sheffield on Monday.
- 26 March 2015 Phuket Gazette (Thailand) “German Tourist Struck in Head by Phuket Longtail Propeller” reports a German man was swimming about 60 meters from shore off Karon Beach on 25 March. The man was struck in the head by a longtail boat propeller about 10am. Lifeguards were quickly on the scene with jetskis. The man was taken to Patong Hospital, then transferred to Bangkok Hospital in Phuket. He suffered at least one cut deep into his skull. The next day the same paper identified the injured man as 54 year old Rudi Dann. Police will await his release from the hospital before determining any potential charges against the boat operator. For accidents resulting in hospital stays of less than 20 days the charge would be careless driving resulting in minor injury. For accidents involving hospital stays in excess of 20 days the charge is careless driving resulting in serious injury.
- 8 February 2015 Accident Date – New Zealand – 29 March 2015 New Zealand Herald “Diversion Likely for Dr. Bierre Who Was Charged Over Serious Boating Accident” reports Tatauta Mimilo, 51, and his family were on a fishing trip with their 6 meter runabout between Motuihe Island and Waiheke Island. O’Sinnerman, a 17 meter yacht, bore down on them. Tatauta encouraged his family to jump overboard, but they did not. He jumped, the yacht missed his boat at the last moment, but ran over him as he dove to escape the propeller. His leg was seriously struck by the propeller. Tatauta credits taking off his life jacket shortly before the accident with saving his life. The paper did not elaborate, but he is referring to not being able to dive below and oncoming boat while wearing a life jacket.)
- D 13 February 2015 Accident Date – Venezuela – Victor Sanchez, a baseball pitching prospect for the Seattle Mariners, was struck by a boat propeller in Venezuela. Mr. Sanchez never regained consciousness and died 42 days later. We cover the accident in depth at Victor Sanchez
- D 1 January 2015 Accident Date – 15 Jan 2015 South China Morning Post “Shenzhen Swimmer’s Death: Suspect’s Boat Was Registered in Hong Kong” reports the January 1st fatal propeller strike of a swimmer off Dameisha Beach in Shenzehen was by a twin engine Yamaha powered outboard boat registered in Hong Kong (did not have the proper paperwork to be where it was at the time of the accident). Liang Zhentao, a 46 year old medical doctor in a Peking University hospital was thought to have been killed by “spiral shaped open wounds found on his body” attributed to the propeller. Official and media reported “cause of death” reports are conflicting. Some suggest Mr. Liang Zhentao was dead before the boat hit him, others say those on the boat saw his body and retrieved it without hitting it. A post mortem examination of the body was suspended.
- 8 January 2015 Yahoo News / News 7 (Australia) “Police Investigate Vic Boat Incident” reports a boy, 13 from Melbourne, is thought to have been sitting on the front of a boat in Port Phillip Bay on Wednesday 7 January, fell off, and was struck by the propeller.
************ Fourth of July Holiday Ends ****************
*********** Friday 3 July 2015 – 4th of July weekend begins *********
************Memorial Day Weekend ends Monday 25 May *******************
************Memorial Day Weekend begins Saturday 23 May *******************
Previous Year – 2014 Boat Propeller Accidents