Preventing Outboard Motors From Flipping into Boats
As part of our continued efforts to encourage the boating industry to address the boating safety hazard of boat outboard motors striking submerged objects and flipping into boats, we published a list of approaches, methods, and technologies used by others, or that appear potentially applicable to this problem.
The paper itself is about a 10 MegaByte 175 page pdf document titled:
Approaches to Prevent Outboard Motors From Flipping Into Boats After Striking Submerged Objects.
We also provide current updates, links to several of our related projects and some videos below.
- Supplement #1 to the third edition of the document above was published in November 2020
Some of Our Related Projects
- Log Strike Testing – 1950’s Mercury Video
- Log Strike Testing Part 1
- History of Log Strike Testing Part 2
- Outboard Motor Struck Submerged Object And Flipped Into Boat: Exemplar Outboard Boat Accidents
- Boat or Boat Motor Stuck Submerged Dredge Pipe: Exemplar Boat Accidents/a>
- Preventing & Mitigating Injuries and Fatalities from Outboard Motors Flipping into Boats: Methods & Technologies Chart
- June 2014 UPDATE – Bass Boat Outboard Motors Struck Submerged Object, Flipped into Boat: a List
- Why Outboards Used in Bass Tournaments Disproportionately Break Off & Flip into Boats Compared to Other Outboard Motors paper
Log Strike Testing Videos
Mercury Log Strike Test
Cummins MerCruiser Diesel Zeus Log Strike Testing at 3:35 on timer
Download: Mercury 2012 Film Festival Log Strike video