Kali’s Law signed by Texas Governor: boat kill switch law
Named for Kali Gorzell, the law will require mandatory use of kill switch lanyards on certain vessels.
Kali’s Law will go into effect September 1st, 2019.
Special thanks to KSAT San Antonio for their coverage of the signing of the bill and the image above.
The basics of the law require the use of a kill switch lanyard or wireless kill switch by the boat operator on motor boats less than 26 feet in length when underway if it is equipped with one by the manufacturer. The boat operator is also required to first verify the switch is operational and fully functional. If using a wireless system, the bill requires a wireless man overboard transmitter be attached to every person on board.
We Covered the Kali Gorzell accident and related events as they happened:
- The Kali Gorzell accident
- The Coast Guard investigation into safety of flats boats like the one in the Gorzell accident
- The first introduction of this bill back in 2013
- Beautiful but Gone, a TWPD Boating Safety video featuring the Gorzell family
- Errors in the statistics being used by those promoting Kali’s Law
- We looked back on the event every few years in conjunction with the fatality of a teenage boy in the UK within hours of Kali Gorzell’s death